Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Shifter stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 AM
antonb1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter stuck

I own a 2003 350z. A while ago the automatic shifter started to get locked up. The button on the left side of the shifter would at times allow me to press and get out of park mode. Other times it would be stuck. Since than i've been driving by pressing the shift lock key for get out of park mode. Can anyone tell me whats wrong? It tried removing the shifter and pressing down on the white stick it still not budge. Tnx
Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 AM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

check your brake pedal switch.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM
xiaolinmonk

Originally Posted by antonb1985
I own a 2003 350z. A while ago the automatic shifter started to get locked up. The button on the left side of the shifter would at times allow me to press and get out of park mode. Other times it would be stuck. Since than i've been driving by pressing the shift lock key for get out of park mode. Can anyone tell me whats wrong? It tried removing the shifter and pressing down on the white stick it still not budge. Tnx
Same thing happened to me two days ago. I have a 05 a/t. Only way I can get it out is if I poke the shift lock. Anyway I took it to Nissan today, they are giving my car back tomorrow. Will update reply when I find out what the cause is.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
antonb1985

I took it to the dealer too. They said it's either the break switch as mentioned above or a selinoid in the shifter which will run about $600 plus parts diagnostics. How do i check find if the break switch unit is faulty? tnx
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 PM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

For a 2003 look at page 217 here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/coupe/2003/at.pdf

For other years, be sure to look in the appropriate manual as wire colors and other things change year to year.

There is a complete description of the system and a wiring diagram. It looks like the brake switch itself has a separate set of contacts for the brake lamps. I was going to say to check for operation of the brake lamps first, but that won't necessarily narrow it down. If they aren't working, I'd say it's definitely a broken/misadjusted switch. If they do work, I'd check for ground at switch and work from there.

The FSM has a complete diagnosis procedure, and it could be a number of things. For example, there is a cable that runs from the ignition switch in addition to the electric interlock solenoid that keeps you from shifting from park without the brake.

The short version is, follow the FSM procedure until you find the malfunctioning part.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is the solenoid, I think the part is 34970-EB30A. That is about $50 online, but I don't know how difficult it is to install.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM
antonb1985

hey guys, need your help.

I think it is the selenoid after all. I took the gear panel apart and here is what i found. The shift lock which appear looks like a little trigger on the drivers side is released by moving forward when shifting out of park during normal operation. For me however, when attempting to shift the little hammer above the trigger comes down and hits the top of the trigger without the shift lock being released. It does release however when i press on the shift lock lever.

I'm planing on taking this thing apart tomorrow, is there anything i should know before attempting thing and going off what i found am i right to assume that the selenoid is indeed the problem?

fyi, the harness appears to be working fine by moving forward when releasing the shift lock and attempting to move out of P.

Check out the picture to get an idea of what im talking about

tnx.
Attached Thumbnails Shifter stuck-download.jpg  

Last edited by antonb1985; 08-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.