Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

flywheel and very loud rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 AM
morphling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flywheel and very loud rattle

I changed my custom flywheel in to South Bend DXD Flywheel and thrust bearing clutch.
I was aware of the chatter and it is perfectly fine, however, there is something more besides chatter I heard on YouTube. While accelerating between 1-2 rpm I hear very loud noise as the metal scrubs metal, it goes away as the car gains speed and increases rpm.
The whole deal is hearable for like 1-2 seconds only but it is very loud… far louder than exhaust and running engine while accelerating.

My 1st thought is that some bearing in gearbox is broken and without dual mass there force is directed directly in to gearbox.
Any ideas what could that be? Oil level is OK.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Which clutch are you using? Never heard of a thrust bearing clutch.
Are you still running stock trans fluid? Is the noise only under 2500 rpm?
Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 AM
morphling

Custom clutch and custom oil. Today I will switch it to motul 300 75w90 and see if there is any difference.

Yes, this rattle happens only on low rpm. It is very hard to find exactly what rpm it is since the car needs to be accelerating, happens for a second and goes away. Without the gear it is quiet - only normal chatter.

If the thing persists after I change transition fluid, I will make a movie and link it, perhaps it will help.

Last edited by morphling; 08-17-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by morphling
Custom clutch and custom oil. Today I will switch it to motul 300 75w90 and see if there is any difference.

Yes, this rattle happens only on low rpm. It is very hard to find exactly what rpm it is since the car needs to be accelerating, happens for a second and goes away. Without the gear it is quiet - only normal chatter.

If the thing persists after I change transition fluid, I will make a movie and link it, perhaps it will help.
If you are running a rigid hub clutch with a single mass flywheel and Nissan trans fluid the trans rattle will be very loud under 2500rpm while accelerating.
This is because there is nothing there to dampen the engine firing pulses through the input shaft of the trans. High compression engines transmit high amounts of harmonics into the trans gears and without a dual mass flywheel you can hear it, add a rigid hub clutch and it makes it even worse esp if you are running stock Nissan fluid "MTF", It is very thin.

Motul gear 300 will quite it down some but will not get rid of it under 2500rpm if you have a rigid hub clutch. With a sprung clutch they are pretty quite.

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 09-07-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:05 PM
morphling

Thank you for response
That makes sense, I have tanked this motul 300 and the difference is extreme.
I have a sprung clutch, at least I think so - it has several springs.

With motul 300 75w100 it rattles between 1, 5-2 rpm when accelerate quite hard, rattle disappeared completely if I do it slowly, moreover, rattle became definitely more quiet.

I have another question, I changed dual mass due to loud clap when releasing rapidly clutch pedal and it didn’t disappear when I got rid of custom flywheel. Any suggestions what might cause it? I had 2 cars before and haven’t, heard it.
Custom clutch seems OK; at least it looked good when we dismantled it for installation of single mass