Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

going into arbitration help needed..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 05:40 AM
LBSOHK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going into arbitration help needed..

finally i will have my arbitration hearing at the end of January , im looking for people with similar problems to mine , if you
PLEASE CAN ONLY STATE YOUR PROBLEM WITH THE VIN #
if you had any of these problems:

*radio replaced
*tranny replaced
*problems with the windows ( grease , motor etc )
*feathering/cupping
*turn signal not canceling
*control arms replaced
*rpm's jumping / rough idle
*water leaking driver&pass window
*pulling to the right/left
*different lights on dashboard ( abs , ses )

i know i could find different threads about all of these problems , but i need Vin# also to make my case... thx
Old 01-13-2004, 09:08 AM
LBSOHK

come on guys please take a minute to do this it would really help my case... thx
Old 01-13-2004, 09:42 AM
themyst

Tire feathering, tranny replaced twice, pressure plate defective, knocking sound from lower control arm,

didn't have any of those other problems you described. good luck with arbitration, although I think if those issues you documented can all be proven via service receipts, you should win.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:44 PM
SnoopyZ

Tire Feathering TSB
Bose AMP TSB
Right Compression Rod
Knocking Noise front supsension
Weak Parking Brake (twice)
Transmission Replaced Twice
Transmission shift gate misaligned
Grease Streaks
Exhaust Leak
Rattles Galore

Most of the problems are just stupid... but the tranny problem is not acceptable.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:26 AM
LBSOHK

anyone ?
Old 01-16-2004, 04:06 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The issue is for the lemon law is if your car had to be repaired 3 times for the same problem ie tranny etc. My brother had a Ford truck, hired an attorney that specializes in it, he got him his money back right away. I suggest you call around, find an attorney they specializes in it, and talk to him on the phone. He will tell you if you have a case or not and that is what you need to know regardless if you hire him or not. BTW, it is like a personal injury case, you only pay if you win. I am not saying you should get an attorney, that is your choice, just suggesting you talk to one on the phone for free.

Good luck...Jeff
Old 01-16-2004, 03:44 PM
LBSOHK

i spoke with one already , if my arbitration case fails i will hire an attorney , i had few parts replaced more than 4 times ( btw in NY its 4 times for Lemon Law ) , i will also try to use The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act..
thx
Old 01-28-2004, 04:53 PM
CatastrophZ

no comment!!!

Last edited by CatastrophZ; 01-28-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:06 PM
jjtricket

All of these damn 350Z Buybacks can be hazardous to our Resale Value!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:41 AM
LBSOHK

All of these damn 350Z Buybacks can be hazardous to our Resale Value!

what you gonna do , im not happy i have to get rid of my Z...
Old 01-31-2004, 02:46 PM
ironmon75

keep us posted on the results of your hearing. i too am going through arbitration but in florida later in february. good luck!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:53 AM
LBSOHK

my case was reschedualed for february 9th ... decision in 2-3 days , I should know the answer by feb 12 i guess... hope my nightmare will end..
Old 02-05-2004, 10:05 AM
ironmon75

hey ibsohk1, i have a question:

i too have been going through hell with repair issues with my Z, i first spoke with the BBB but then they instructed me to file the florida lemon law first. after i sent that in nissan calls me back within 2 days (pretty impressive) and wants to send a rep down and fix the car. i figure i have nothing to lose and it will make my case airtight. right?

here are the list of the main problems:
-replaced left window motor 4 times(now the windows leak air and water)
-replaced trunk latch 4 times(trunk still sticks)
-replaced transmission 2 times but took it in 2 more times to "repair" it. (now i can't shift in 5th gear)

of course i've keep **** records about everything. these are the steps i've taken so far did you go through this route or just went straight for trial?

any ideas would be helpful since it seems as though i'm a few steps behind you.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:44 PM
LBSOHK

ironmon75 , u got PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:25 AM
BIGSHOT

You can buy a Lemmon in any car made! I can tell you having had one (subaru 1988) the more they try to fix it the more things they will break. Every time a mechanic fixes 1 thing he wil set another out or down right break something else. This will continue till the car is junked! SO trade it in or SELL for your own mental health> peace of mind is priceless!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:05 PM
blaze.80

my case was reschedualed for february 9th ... decision in 2-3 days , I should know the answer by feb 12 i guess... hope my nightmare will end..

Let us know how it goes.

Jim
Old 02-10-2004, 03:36 AM
LBSOHK

The arbitration hearing went well , the arbitrator was very professional and I think gave me and NNA rep .enough time to express our feelings and opinions.

It took us almost 4 hours ( including test drive ) to finish up. I started and went through all the problems NNA and me agreed earlier to arbitrate on. ( 9 different problems w/ the Z occuring frequently)
Good sign - arbitrator had to get additional papers , she was not expecting that many peoblems to still exist.
Although i presented some proofs from some magazines and independent auto mechanics regarding some of my problems they were not taken into consideration , arbitrator read them , so I guess the damage was done . What suprised me is that when i presented my case , NNA rep could not say anything and obviously , same would apply to me...

NNA rep started his presentation by apologizing to me for all the trouble I went through . Then asked if he had to go through all the repairs done to my care , and laughing he said he rather not to for obvious reasons ( my car was in service for more than 40 days and i visited Nissan dealership more than 10 X ) then went on to blame Bridgestone for my suspension problem , went to blame Bose , Hitachi and Clarion for my radio problems , went to blame dealerships and compared them to doctors - one is good while other is not. And at the end said he asked me twice over the phone and mailed 2 separate letters asking for a last chance to fix the car , but i denied the request ( like I said , I couldnt interupt , so boys and girls better get some notebook and out down anything you want to ask , or anything that is not true ).
In my case i didnt receive any calls from NNA asking for repairs , only one call from BBB , and I stated if they come and pick up my car at my house i dont see any problems with them fixing it , or if they want to pay for the towing - BBB replied that it couldnt be arranged because at this time the car is still my responsiblity. Since there was no prove that NNA send me any letters , and no proof that I either received it or not , I simply stated that theres no point in arguing about something like that..

After that I was left alone with the NNA rep as he offered me to fix my car , offered me 4 brand new tires i believe bridgestone 03 ( not sure ) , offered to come to my house and actually tow my car to any dealer i wish where he will get some master technician ( as supposed to regular tech ) to fix my car , offered me a rental - completely free of charge , also I would get a written contract stating that if anything happens again with my car within ( i was to pick how many days 30 , 60 , 90 ) days we will continue the arbitration. I was ... I though at that time , Nissan showed they somewhat care about the customer , or at least care about loosing a customer and giving him $ back. But I had to decline the offer and we proceeded with the arbitration and test drive.

Both NNA rep and arbitrator inspected the cars exterior and interior , and we went for a test drive. At both time I was driving the car. I went with the arbitrator first and she stated that she will not talk to me during the test drive but i could point out what was wrong. We went for a 20 minut drive , gotta love manhattan's traffic at noon
When i took NNA rep for a drive we went around the block , 5 min. He pointed out that my right front rim was scraped and that was it.

We got back to the office and we commented on the way test drive went. NNA rep had one more shot and now he blamed me for the suspension problems and tire feathering because of the damaged rim. We gave our final statements and that was it. I will get an answer from BBB in the next 5 days.

In conclusion : Be prepared and know your case ! I was able to shock the NNA rep with some question that he couldnt answer. I pointed out some obvious mistakes he made stating Nissans case .
Also , be polite and stick to the problems you agreed to arbitrate on , get some supportive documents , different arbitrators work differently so there is a chance you would be able to use some documents helping your case. Don't argue w/ the NNA rep , bite your tongue , and take your time answering their questions.
one more thing organize organize organize...
good luck guys ,

PS : TO NISSAN :

Here's something to think about:
If your service at the delearships were as polite and understanding as the NNA rep I dealt with , I think many owners would give you few more chances , before filing with BBB or using Lemon Law.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:37 AM
LBSOHK

sorry for the long post , didnt realize I wrote so much...
Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 AM
ironmon75

hey lbsohk1, which magazine articles did you use in your case?
did any car problems arise during test drive? i would have thought that they would need to drive the car. anyways, good luck in the next 5 days. i'll look forward to hear the results.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:40 AM
LBSOHK

there was an article in car and driver regarding tire feathering / wrong toe in setup by Nissan in some 39 000 of 2003 350z's ( article mentioned this forum )

i would have thought that they would need to drive the car
I was thinking the same , and I offered that for both parties , both declined, after the test drive , NNA rep tried to tell the arbitrator that the gears were really smooth , and she ask him how could he tell without driving the car , and he replied that he just can ...

Quick Reply: going into arbitration help needed..