Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Will I pass inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Will I pass inspection?

Hey guys I did my research but have no idea if I will pass inspection or not I have to go tomorrow and the past 3 weeks I had a cel on my 03 with 90k miles go on for a few hours then disappear for a week or 2 then come back on .... Currently the cel is off . The code I keep throwing is cylinder #2 misfire . I plan on doing a full tune up plugs and possibly all coils but right now my funds are extremely low and am getting penalized to get an inspection . So for now with the light on or off will I pass if that's the only code I'm throwing ? I live in NYC btw thanks !

A simple yes or no will do but if you feel like elaborating on the subject then by all means
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
ehaalandtluk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're getting a slight intermittent misfire, it might be good to put some fuel system cleaner in your gas tank. Look up seafoam or something similar. Chevron makes it, berry man makes it.

It's like 15 bucks. And it will help you determine if your problem is a dirty fuel injector. If it doesn't cure the misfire code, well, your engine should run better either way

It evened out my idle after changing my plugs and oil after 95K miles.

Last edited by ehaalandtluk; 01-04-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

In NC they can tell if someone disconnects their battery to get rid of their CEL before getting inspected, therefore, they will fail you. I'm not saying that's what you're doing but if it's the same in NY they may think you're trying pull one over on them.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
In NC they can tell if someone disconnects their battery to get rid of their CEL before getting inspected, therefore, they will fail you. I'm not saying that's what you're doing but if it's the same in NY they may think you're trying pull one over on them.
In all honesty , that is def not the situation here lol. I got the light a few weeks ago and then it went off the day I went to get it scanned at autozone . Went there they scanned it and said no codes .
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by ehaalandtluk
If you're getting a slight intermittent misfire, it might be good to put some fuel system cleaner in your gas tank. Look up seafoam or something similar. Chevron makes it, berry man makes it.

It's like 15 bucks. And it will help you determine if your problem is a dirty fuel injector. If it doesn't cure the misfire code, well, your engine should run better either way

It evened out my idle after changing my plugs and oil after 95K miles.

I will def try this , as I have a bottle I was going to use on my 240 but never got around to it . Can you please tell me exactly how to use this stuff because I heard some bad stories from people after hydro locking their motors .
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
In all honesty , that is def not the situation here lol. I got the light a few weeks ago and then it went off the day I went to get it scanned at autozone . Went there they scanned it and said no codes .
That's because they used a cheap, off-the-shelf scan tool. A slightly better scan tool will show how many times you've reset a CEL and will record pretty much everything that's gone wrong in your car since you bought it. I scanned my 2008 Z with an Autel MD802 scan tool a few weeks ago, and the bloody ECU stored the TPMS light that turned on the night I bought the car. It also still knew about the CEL that was thrown when my cat conv. died a year ago (covered under warranty, thank god.) I tried resetting everything to erase all codes, but the hidden report maintains the codes, even if you've cleared the CEL or haven't seen it in a long time. I'm guessing you can permanently clear the codes using Nissan's proprietary CONSULT tool.

By the way, buying a new set of coils just because one of them may or may not be working is a complete waste of money. In the end, it'd be cheaper to have have a garage identify the cause of the misfire and fix it. FWIW, I agree with the idea of running some Techron fuel injector cleaner through a tank to see if that helps.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by zakmartin
That's because they used a cheap, off-the-shelf scan tool. A slightly better scan tool will show how many times you've reset a CEL and will record pretty much everything that's gone wrong in your car since you bought it. I scanned my 2008 Z with an Autel MD802 scan tool a few weeks ago, and the bloody ECU stored the TPMS light that turned on the night I bought the car. It also still knew about the CEL that was thrown when my cat conv. died a year ago (covered under warranty, thank god.) I tried resetting everything to erase all codes, but the hidden report maintains the codes, even if you've cleared the CEL or haven't seen it in a long time. I'm guessing you can permanently clear the codes using Nissan's proprietary CONSULT tool.

By the way, buying a new set of coils just because one of them may or may not be working is a complete waste of money. In the end, it'd be cheaper to have have a garage identify the cause of the misfire and fix it. FWIW, I agree with the idea of running some Techron fuel injector cleaner through a tank to see if that helps.
Just wanted to say thanks for reply and I'm going to go with the techron first drive it for a little and then get it scanned . Thanks a lot man
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 AM
NOLAGG

Ok so I passed inspection with out the light on after I changed the uh yesterday.... About 2 hours later the light came on and it's throwing the same code ? I ran the bottle of techron yesterday and now the codes back along with the light ....? Any suggestions ?