Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Is it okay if I change my coolant and don't start car for few weeks

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Pholicious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it okay if I change my coolant and don't start car for few weeks

Is it okay if I drain my coolant to change my hoses then fill rad back up but don't start the car for a few weeks?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

why would it NOT be ok?? lol
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

For the sake of inhibiting rust, I'd say you should cycle the coolant and burp the cooling system before letting the car sit for a long period of time. Otherwise, go ahead and fill what you can with a 50/50 solution (something's better than nothing) and when you're ready to start the car again, run a radiator flush treatment (i.e., Prestone Flush -n- Fill) through the system, then rinse and refill. If you don't use pre-mixed coolant when you refill, be sure to use distilled water with the new coolant. That should get rid of any surface rust or contamination that accrues on the engine surfaces that aren't protected by the rust inhibitors in the coolant while the car's just sitting there.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Tracktimeplz

Originally Posted by zakmartin
For the sake of inhibiting rust, I'd say you should cycle the coolant and burp the cooling system before letting the car sit for a long period of time. Otherwise, go ahead and fill what you can with a 50/50 solution (something's better than nothing) and when you're ready to start the car again, run a radiator flush treatment (i.e., Prestone Flush -n- Fill) through the system, then rinse and refill. If you don't use pre-mixed coolant when you refill, be sure to use distilled water with the new coolant. That should get rid of any surface rust or contamination that accrues on the engine surfaces that aren't protected by the rust inhibitors in the coolant while the car's just sitting there.
+1

water droplets that are inside the engine/waterpump/ect that get exposed to open air for a prolonged period, may lead to corrosion.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Pholicious

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Thank you, Ill do that.