Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Removed alarm, now car wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
LasVegasZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Removed alarm, now car wont start!

Hi everyone, I'm new here but not new to forums so let me start by saying I searched for days trying to find the right wiring diagram and/or answer to my question before posting. With that said, here is my issue:

I just bought a sweet 2007 350z 6speed with 58k miles. It had a poorly installed viper alarm in it (remote was also missing) so I decided to uninstall it. I removed all foreign wires, and found all the places that wires were spliced into the OEM harnesses. I buttoned everything back together and no crank. I have had a friend come check to make sure power is getting sent from the Ignition, and it is. He also directly sent power to the Starter and it also works. I also replaced the clutch position sensor on the clutch pedal, didn't help. SO, I have an issue in between the Ignition, and the Starter. Where should I check next?

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Bret86944

I assume it started and ran fine before the alarm was removed?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you try looking at the Viper alarm install instructions? Maybe you can reverse the steps there to find something you missed when you removed all the "foreign" wires, etc.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM
LasVegasZ

I believe I have found the correct wiring diagram on NicoClub. It is the FSM for "Starting & Charging System." I however, can't figure out how to read it. It doesn't label anything with names, rather letter and number codes. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Originally Posted by Bret86944
I assume it started and ran fine before the alarm was removed?
Yes, you are absolutely correct. One thing that annoyed me about the alarm however was the fact that I didn't have to push the clutch pedal in to start the car; and that's a feature that I enjoy in a 6 speed vehicle.

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Did you try looking at the Viper alarm install instructions? Maybe you can reverse the steps there to find something you missed when you removed all the "foreign" wires, etc.
I don't have any Viper alarm instructions. However, it is rather easy to see which ones are OEM or not.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Check Viper's website or give them a call and look at the installation guide for that particular model. Work backwards until you find out what the problem is. Look at every place where a security system wire was spliced into the factory wiring and make sure you're not dealing with a short or a cut wire (which would be my guess). Also, the person who installed the aftermarket security system may have disconnected the factory one, so that will have to be re-connected (or worse case, repurchased and reinstalled)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 PM
LasVegasZ

Got my hands on the Alarm install instructions. I indeed have taken out all the wiring. Car still does not start; probably going to take it to a shop. Thanks for all your help though guys!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 AM
power2rice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

commonly on alarms is the use of a 40amp relay to by pass the starter wire when the alarm is active. however, if you removed the wiring and did not reconnect the starter wiring back together in its OEM configuration, you run into the problem as you have described. also note*, your viper alarm system may have utilized the chip from your key since you said it was remote start. if you removed the alarm, and didnt notice the chip key add on feature (it will contain the chip, the key with chip.., higher end will be able to replicate the chip coding) your factory ecu will disable starting the car also. check your key that the chip is also in place.