Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Pedal Issues, Tried Everything

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:56 PM
aukword1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Issues, Tried Everything

Okay first of all, I have search many different forums and have not been able to fix this issue.

Basically I have replaced my whole clutch system. Wilwood Master cylinder setup for Zspeed, steel braided lines, upgraded pivot ball, brand new CSC, new clutch and flywheel.

Everything is installed correctly, no air in the line when bleeding and the clutch pedal seems to be working perfectly until I turn the car on. The second I turn the car on, the clutch pedal gets squishy and sticky. It doesnt release properly and I cannot shift into gears after about 10 seconds from having the car on. It seems like it is losing pressure in the system somehow. When I shut the car off, the clutch is fine and I tried bleeding it, no air in the line again.

Anyone have any theories on this? I am at a stump since I have replaced EVERYTHING. Also note that I removed the clutch orifice(or clutch restriction as some call it) that was under the driver side fender cover. I bench bled the master cylinder before i installed it and it seemed to pressurize fine, so i doubt the master cylinder was defective. Prior to installing the new master cylinder, everything seemed to work okay and that setup was the new clutch/flywheel, new CSC and the small steel braided clutch line that connects to the slave. I did notice that the clutch pedal felt a bit spongy which is why i decided to go with the heavy duty master just in case it fails again.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

With your car off and sitting at rest snap a pic of the clutch fork position and post it up.

Doesnt make much sense what you are saying, It shouldn't change by starting the car. What clutch and flywheel are installed in the car?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM
aukword1

F1 stage 3 clutch and XTD lightweight flywheel from ebay...old setup was nismo clutch and oem flywheel...

Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

It looks like the clutch is not set up correctly, The fork position should not be that far forward into the slave with a new clutch, Should be about middle way in the opening.

With it at rest can you push the fork backwards away from the slave? The release bearing should stay in contact with the pressure plate at all times, even at rest, If it can be pushed more towards the clutch after it has sat at rest the spring that holds the bearing to the clutch fork may be installed backwards causing it to push in on the slave as it sits.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:27 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

And you boot is on backwards, big part goes into the trans.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 AM
aukword1

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
It looks like the clutch is not set up correctly, The fork position should not be that far forward into the slave with a new clutch, Should be about middle way in the opening.

With it at rest can you push the fork backwards away from the slave? The release bearing should stay in contact with the pressure plate at all times, even at rest, If it can be pushed more towards the clutch after it has sat at rest the spring that holds the bearing to the clutch fork may be installed backwards causing it to push in on the slave as it sits.
No I am not able to push the fork away from the slave. So since the fork isn't sitting correctly, that would be fixed by adjustments to the master cylinder push rod correct? Or possibly the pressure plate?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

To me the fork looks way too far forward if the clutch in newer. I think you have an issue inside the clutch itself. Bolts on pressure plate loose, Clutch problem, Bearing not all the way on the bearing sleeve ect.

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 05-21-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
aukword1

okay well i am currently replacing the engine right now so I will look more in depth to the clutch when i install it, thank you again.