Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

$10 Lisle Funnel Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 PM
srv1990

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $10 Lisle Funnel Alternative

I discovered this the other day (after my Lisle was broken) and to my surprise it worked flawlessly. Here are the parts I used:

(1) FloTool Giant Funnel (found at Tractor Supply)-$4.99
(1) Dorman Oil Filler Tube Grommet part#42306-(AutoZone)-$2.99
(3+) ft. of 5/16 hose (optional)

I used this to bleed the air out of the cooling system after I installed a Koyo 53mm radiator and new hoses. The grommet is strangely a perfect fit inside of the filler neck and after that just fit the funnel inside the grommet. This forms a watertight seal and will not leak regardless of temperature. I tested this further by filling the funnel 3/4 full and left it overnight without it leaking a drop. Also the front of the car was on ramps the entire time. The coolant reservoir hose will need to be closed off or you can do what i did and attach a separate hose in its place from the radiator to a container in order to drain the remaining liquid left in the funnel when you are done. This is really the only drawback in that the grommet isn't quite tall enough to seal off the overflow. There are numerous ways to empty the funnel, this is just the method I chose. No modifications to the funnel or grommet are necessary. One thing to keep in mind is that the funnel I used is not the new QuickFill version. I'm not sure if changes were made to the spout with the design change so it may or may not fit the grommet as it should. Outside of that I hope this helps someone out with the bleeding process and saves you a few bucks over a Lisle (which is still worth every penny). If you have any questions most certainly ask. This is what it will look like put together.
 Lisle Funnel Alternative-funnel-install-1.jpg