Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

The AC (no response) Problem. Good Tech Info and how to fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM
vito350zed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The AC (no response) Problem. Good Tech Info and how to fix it.

Don't you just hate it when you’re stuck in traffic on your sexy 350Z on a hot day and your AC stops blowing cold?

There are many possibilities but most common will be these.

1. Fans turn on compressor doesn’t: bad compressor and or bad compressor clutch. (Fans suppose turn on every time when AC button is pressed.)
2. Turn on, compressor works, air not cold enough: low on Freon/equivalent.
3. Turn on, no reaction. No fans working or compressor does not engage: Electrical issue, or low on Freon/equivalent gas. (Nissans have a safety thing, that won’t allow clutch to engage, if the gas pressure is too low in order to prevent frying of the compressor.)
a. Low on gas.
b. Bad relay. (Sometimes relays go out causing AC to not work at all or never turn off causing battery to die because an electrical signal is always sent the the system.)
c. Bad pressure sensor. (These pieces can go out, (like what happened to me), and the AC will never turn on, you will get no response when you press the AC button. In, my case, my sensor snapped freakin in half! Lol..)

How to properly diagnose your ac issue and fix:

1. First things first, you have to manually check the AC level to see if you have enough gas or take it to the AC shop for them to check. You will need to get a measuring tool and test it on the LOW pressure hose ONLY. Make sure, you’re in specs. Don’t go refilling AC gas right away, they aren't the cheapest to refill, if it’s low then do so.
2. If AC level is good then you check if electricity is given to the compressor. If not, then your down to 2 issue main issues and a small 3rd issue. Bad relay, bad sensor, or some wires disconnected due to vibration and time, (but that is rare)
3. First replace the relay to see if that fixes the problem before changing AC pressure sensor. 2 reasons: relays are cheaper to replace and you won’t need to dump your AC gas and pay to refill it. Most cases, that should fix the problem.
4. So your level is good, your relay is good, but you still have no reaction. Clutch does not engage and fans don’t turn on. Well you’re pissed, down to your last nerve and about to explode and beat the crap out of someone. (that’s what happened to me.) Where the AC radiator looking thing, stands the AC Pressure sensor sits, (on to on the collector to be exact. The round tube on the passenger side of the AC radiator.) You will need to take your car to an AC shop so then can vacuum the gas out to replace the sensor or a chop shop buddy who’s got a $5,000 AC refill machine. The Stealership charged me $80 (after tax) for a new AC Pressure Sensor. They run as low as $40 online, (part.com , which I purchased many oem parts from)
i. If you decide to do it manually, it’s a ***** to reach it, and you will have some cuts and stings getting to it. The radiators (AC and engine coolant rad.) need to to be loosened up to access the Sensor. The sensor requires a 24mm Metric socket to remove and install.
ii. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LOSE THE RUBBER SEAL ON THE SENSOR THREAD, IT IS VITAL!!!
iii. Once sensor is replaced, connect to the AC refill station and let the machine do its magic. AC has to work after. If not, then.