Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Engine disabled

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM
optomeyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine disabled

Recently purchased a Fairlady 350Z 2003 Auto for my son. Came with after market Clifford alarm with remote start etc. A week ago, took it to get detailed and when we returned, we noticed that the head lights were on, but they were turned off inside the car and the key was NOT in the ignition. My son tried to start the car, and the front and rear wipers went on, the flashers went on, the hi and low beams stayed on, the car cranked but would not start. removed the key, but the light remained on. Could not turn the lights off. Eventually ran the battery down. Came back later, jumped the battery from my car, but could not start the car. Disconnected the battery and left it at the car wash overnight.
Managed to start the car the following morning after about 3 tries. Everything seemed to be working fine.....until 2 days ago my son parked in a parking garage and returned to find the same problem, lights, flasher, wipers, able to crank but could not start. Removed the brain to the Clifford alarm system to eliminate it as cause.Tried for hours and eventually towed car home. The following day tried to start but same. Read that disarm the factory alarm, turn key in door to lock position 2x, and then to unlock position 2x. Was now able to start car, but the lights, flasher, and wipers were still going. Removed the fuses for the wipers and the lights. Was still able to restart. Finally noticed that the flashers stopped and the high beam light on the dash went out. reinstalled the fuses and now everything is working fine. Have not reinstalled the Clifford alarm, but my son is unsure of using the car incase he gets stuck somewhere. Any ideas of cause?
If the multifunction switch in the steering column was faulty, could it possibly cause these issues???

Last edited by optomeyes; 06-26-2013 at 11:09 AM.