Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2007 350z HR Engine Service Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM
JasonCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 350z HR Engine Service Recommendations?

My 2007 is about to hit 100,000 miles. I've been pretty good about taking her in for general service repairs and oil changes when I should. But, here are a few things that bother me or that I have noticed:

(1) The engine starts a bit rougher then when I first purchased her new. I've never changed the spark plugs. I'm not sure if this is maybe something I should do?

(2) The oil pressure seems a bit lower. I had to take a long trip, and so took her in to get a oil change and have a look at that issue. They said the oil sensor was bad. So, they replaced it. It cost about $200. I then went on my trip. But, I noticed that the oil pressure still was just as low as it was prior to my trip. Changing the oil pressure sensor didn't seem to make any difference. I'm not sure if the lower oil pressure may also be contributing to the engine starting a bit rougher? But, it is a concern. I'm not sure if I should press my mechanic to somehow determine why the oil pressure is lower? Or what should I be asking for? When new, I recall the oil pressure being at around 75 PSI on the gauge (when warmed up). Now, it sits always around 60 PSI (when warmed up). So it's a question: why the oil pressure has dropped?

(3) I noticed that when corning, there seems to be more vertical movement of the vehicle. Hard to explain: it's like the car feels like part of the car is going to come up off the ground. It seems more unstable or more rolly during turns? This makes it feel like if I corner to much, it's going to spin out of control. This especially becomes more noticeably if I'm driving a bit faster and cornering. I'm thinking perhaps my shocks are going after about 100,000 miles? When should stock shocks be replaced? And recommendations or replacement shocks? What things should I considering?

Those are my concerns at the moment. But, in general too, considering I'm about to hit 100,000 miles, what would be good things to go ahead and just replace?

So far I'm leaning towards:

(1) Replacing the spark plugs.
(2) Getting new shocks (my understanding is that a 350z doesn't have struts).
(3) Have a mechanic somehow check the oil pressure? Can they do that?

Anything else I maybe should consider?

Other than that, my 350z HR seems to be running great!

Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:52 AM
go-part
Vendor - Former Vendor

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...2006_N_SMG.pdf
Old 07-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Kunihiro

If it were my car, I would definitely change out the plugs and typically, it is recommended that shocks be replaced at 50,000 miles. Your's are probably worn with that kind of mileage.

Just to give you an idea, here's a link to Auto Anything:

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi.../10A50469.aspx

Not sure where in "So Cal" you are at, but I have a buddy who owns his own shop in Covina.

But first, I would definitely take it back to the person who R&R'd your oil pressure sending unit and have him/her re-assess their initial diagnosis.

Other things to consider, if you haven't already done so:

change out all your fluids, ie: coolant, brake, tranny, etc.

just my two cents.