Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Cracked front bumper, best repair method?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Jcrisp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked front bumper, best repair method?

Sadly, lastnight i was driving and im guessing one of the log trucks from around here dropped a huge clunk of dirt in the road. It was dark and it was right around the corner so i couldnt see it until i was right up on it, but it hit my front bumper and it has a slight crack in the middle, and one about 4 inches on the side, and i need to know the best way to repair it, because i dont want to leave it, or fix it the easy way and make it look ghetto.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zip ties and stickers. Honestly, unless you pay to take it to a shop and have it repaired with fiberglass, and repainted - there is no "best way." My front bumper is cracked from bottoming out severely, and I'm going to let it stay that way until I feel it makes sense to pay a ridiculous amount of money to repair and repaint it. If your car isn't pearl, or some other fancy paint color, it will cost less though.

Edit: Don't you have insurance? They'll cover it for the cost of your collision deductible.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM
chriswagner92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcarther101

Zip ties and stickers. Honestly, unless you pay to take it to a shop and have it repaired with fiberglass, and repainted - there is no "best way." My front bumper is cracked from bottoming out severely, and I'm going to let it stay that way until I feel it makes sense to pay a ridiculous amount of money to repair and repaint it. If your car isn't pearl, or some other fancy paint color, it will cost less though.

Edit: Don't you have insurance? They'll cover it for the cost of your collision deductible.
if he has a high deductible wont they only be paying out a small amount along with his insurance going up? IMO if I was only gonna get like $100 i don't think I'd want to deal with the insurance... I guess it also depends on how extensive the damage is, but yeah zip ties and gorilla tape on the inside and you should be golden. just make sure you tell your friends you were drifting like a badass when they ask what happened.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Post a few pictures…

I split my chin on my front bumper and got some 2mm thick plastic and epoxy'd it to the back of the bumper to bridge it back together…

depending on the severity and your tolerance with this damage on your car I would suggest something similar. In the mean time, considering you have a daytona blue car I would scope the forum, craigslist and ebay for a new bumper cover…if you can find a decent used one with the same color you can swap them out in less than an hour.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcrisp
best repair method?
That would be a new bumper cover.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Someone in a donk cadillac did a hit-and-run on my wife's front bumper on her 2009 Nissan Rogue in a parking lot. A witness gave us the license number of the car that hit us, as well as a description of the car and driver and we filed a police report. It ended up costing us $300 to have the bumper replaced with a brand new (not rebuilt) one. We have a $500 deductible, but there's a law in my state that says if it's a hit-and-run and there's a police report, you insurance company can only charge $300 and it has to offer you a settlement for diminished value (we opted not to take that because there was no structural damage whatsoever - just a cracked bumper). According to the repair shop's invoice, the total charge for the fix was $850 for a new bumper cover (re-built would have saved us $18 - whoop de doo), styrofoam backing, paint, and new plasti-chrome trim. I imagine it'll cost about the same to get your Z fixed.

If you want to fix it yourself, get on Youtube and do a search for "bumper repair." There are plenty of how-to videos on fixing cracked bumpers.