Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Denso iridium Spark Plug ikh16

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:47 AM
se350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denso iridium Spark Plug ikh16

Hi everyone, first of all im new to this forum, and i would like to ask few questions about these spark plugs. I bought my Z 3 years ago and never had any problems with it, its on 57000 and i will be changing the spark plugs, i heard that every 6 years (100,000 miles) you need to change it. These plugs comes with 0.4mm gap, an on the manual of 350z it says the gap should be 0.43mm, i dont have a tool to extend the gap, i was wonderiing if i fit these plugs like this without touching the gap, would i have any problems in the future?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum. According to my service schedule it says that the plugs should be changed at the P2 service which is after 7 years or 63000 miles, whichever comes sooner. If the gap isn't correct when you buy them then maybe Halfords or wherever you're going to buy them from will adjust them for you. I'm sure if you bought your plugs from an independent supplier they'd do it for you. Alternatively you could spend a fiver on a tool and DIY. Its best to have the correct gap as they work at maximum efficiency at .43mm or.1inch. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:59 AM
se350z

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Hello and welcome to the forum. According to my service schedule it says that the plugs should be changed at the P2 service which is after 7 years or 63000 miles, whichever comes sooner. If the gap isn't correct when you buy them then maybe Halfords or wherever you're going to buy them from will adjust them for you. I'm sure if you bought your plugs from an independent supplier they'd do it for you. Alternatively you could spend a fiver on a tool and DIY. Its best to have the correct gap as they work at maximum efficiency at .43mm or.1inch. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, I bought the spark plugs from eBay, I emailed them they're suggesting me to go to my local mechanic, as you said ill spend another fiver on the tool and do it myself. Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:18 AM
cudaben

please do your self a favor and DO NOT gap the plugs with the coin style gapped.

What??? why would anyone say this???

well the metals that they put on the electrode is very thin, and this "fiver tool" you are talking about using, when inserted and spun to the correct gap will effectively sand off the iridium. giving you a base copper plug again. NGK even says so on their website.
get the feeler gauge type plug adjuster. and be careful.
I usually run my plugs a little bit wider than recommended. Not on all cars, just ones with high energy ignitions. Helps promote a more complete burn, assuming you have a healthy ignition system.