Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wow... What a job replacing the Battery in the 350z is!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:38 AM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AshMan
Don't beat yourself up over it OP. You'd be surprised how many people don't search the forum.

Because of this thread people will hopefully search & learn your mistake, so it's not so hard for them. Now you know next time there's something you want to do, you'll search the forum 1st.
Hint so subtle ...

I do search. Maybe you guys can do me a favor. Because just typing in key words in the search engine doesn't return the appropriate search results. I've put quotes around them. I'm sure there is some sticky on how to use the search function somewhere.. Anyone mind kindly pointing it to me.

Also,... this post wasn't asking any questions really, besides a sort of rhetorical (Did anyone else have a longer thane expected time with their battery , first time?) --

I love this forum,.. it's the best 350Z one out there by a mile. But it seems I can do no right here. I feel like it's so 'old' now.. with so much information that literally just about every topic has probably been brought up by now.. and thus the majority of topics about 350Z's are going to be something someone could find somewhere in the legions of posts on this forum and therefore never have to post.

I like the community,.. this was more of a fun post. I just supported the site yesterday evening,.. because it is a great tool imo. (But I do need to learn to use the 'advanced' commands of the search engine because I get better results from this forum using Google than the Search bar in the forum. SO I'm doing something wrong.)

For example -- I searched the forum before posting this thread.. ie: "Battery installation trouble" or "Battery hard to get out"... or "Battery".. and other variations.. I got the typical search results, but they weren't relevant to the search term. -- And I know it's that I'm not searching properly. I'd search for the search 'commands' , if you will.. but you can see the cyclical flaw there.

Honest and serious question here -- Is it a general "rule" of the forum to NOT post information or questions that have been asked before? Because, given the archives of this forum and years passed.. as aforementioned, I would surmise that a large percentage of everyday questions are repeats from days, weeks, months or maybe years ago.

I try to be somewhat specific in my questions to try and not 'repeat' something that's already out there.

I guess, the biggest thing that will solve my "bad behavior" on the forum , again, is learning proper use of the Search function/bar.

Take care,
Old 12-24-2013, 07:09 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

It's painful when I first did it. I lost the bolt when I drop it somewhere in the engine bay. You know the one that attached to the holder. I had to drive to the auto store to get a replacement part. Live and learn.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by RUNWDVL
It's painful when I first did it. I lost the bolt when I drop it somewhere in the engine bay. You know the one that attached to the holder. I had to drive to the auto store to get a replacement part. Live and learn.
I knew I wasn't alone! -- Yup, dropping a bolt can be difficult. I dropped a socket instead of the bolts,.. in an area you couldn't see, and I was at the point where I had just finished installing the battery and connecting terminals and bracket (the hard part was over).. So it was take the battery out, and get the socket (do it all over again).. or Mcguyver a way to get the socket out. Took me a few minutes, but ultimately a piece of wire bent into a hook shape and I luckily managed to 'feel' where the socket was with the wire, hook it.. and slowly drag and pull it up and out without it falling.

Now, doing the battery again it would still take me.. oh at least 10 minutes.. You DO have to take several panels off, you still have to remove some bolts.. and I am particularly careful with anything I do to my Z,.. a scratch or broken clip from rushing a 10-15minute job just isn't worth it to me.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:10 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

....threads like this are why mechanics make a killing on the average joe/jane...
Old 12-25-2013, 02:52 AM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by KingBaby
....threads like this are why mechanics make a killing on the average joe/jane...
You think? I've never tackled any car project that I couldn't finish. I've fixed many issues master mechanics could not after a few chances..

Maybe you get the wrong impression here.. this was a light hearted post,.. this was not "Wow, I could not figure out how to change the battery and thus have no technical skill or problem solving skills."

The batteries on this car are more time consuming (difficult is apparently quite the subjective word here.. so I won't use it) than many other vehicles out there.

Often car manufacturers will place items that will undeniably need replacement and have very limited lifespans in more accessible areas.. by design. On the 350z, while I'm sure the location of the battery was part of the design, no doubt, the 'ease' and 'quickness' of changing it on the consumers end was not a priority.

That said,.. Anyone who reads this thread -- Don't go pay $25-50 to have someone else change your battery unless you just don't feel like doing it. It's not HARD to do,.. just expect to take about twice as long doing it than in many other vehicles where you ratchet 3-4 bolts lift up, drop in new, and tighten.

No one in this thread has or seemed "incompetent"... except perhaps myself with my post. If that is the impression you received, it is an incorrect one.

Have a great Christmas,
Old 12-25-2013, 08:52 AM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorta on topic:

What is the longest anybody's STOCK factory battery has lasted?

my 2008 Nismo still has the original battery.

Car first sold in late 2007, so about 6.5 years old now.......
Old 12-25-2013, 09:03 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

My car was a 2003 and change first battery in 2010. Bought a walmart battery(dumb I know) lasted til 2012 then bought a red top optimum, still going.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Sorta on topic:

What is the longest anybody's STOCK factory battery has lasted?

my 2008 Nismo still has the original battery.

Car first sold in late 2007, so about 6.5 years old now.......
Well.. I pulled the battery on this car because it only held 300 CCA's under a load machine.. didn't want to get stuck at some point.

It was the original factory battery.. June of 2008 till Essentially Jan of 2014. It may have gone another year, who knows.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Chromatic

My car was a 2003 and change first battery in 2010. Bought a walmart battery(dumb I know) lasted til 2012 then bought a red top optimum, still going.
Not so dumb. Walmart batteries aren't really "Cheap". A 350Z battery at Walmart is $100 + tax + corefee.. so $110ish.

I've put a few Walmart batteries in my own cars and others... And have had them last 5-8 years.. I've yet to personally come across a "walmart" battery that didn't live well past it's warranty. Walmart batteries have a 2 year FULL replacement if it dies.. and a 5 year pro-rate.

I was considering one of the higher end batteries.. but I just couldn't justify spending $200-$275 depending on exact type.. vs. $100. If I had some monster audio system that required the power.. or some other such need.. or raced it and needed every pound removed I could get.. I would. But as a daily driver,.. The EverMaxx battery 35S is just fine.

Besides, these batteries are made by JCI,.. same batteries with different shells/stickers as "Interstate" batteries. They aren't inherently crap, imho.

I mean can you even buy a $50-60 battery these days? (Not including the non chain places that have used batteries they've done some refurb job on. which aren't too common).
Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 PM
DrummerGirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '06 battery lasted until just last week.

I replaced it just last week and it wasn't hard at all. Took maybe 5 minutes to remove and 5 to put back in? I gotta say, I didn't realize how bad my OEM battery was. It had all this grime all over built up on it and looked like it was leaking or something. It was pretty crazy starting up the car with my new battery (Optima Yellow Top) because the start up was WAY WAY WAY quicker and my car felt more smooth overall.

IDK if it's just because I cleaned the crap off or if it's just because it's a new battery but knowing that the optima battery usually lasts longer I think it's worth the extra bit of cash.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:49 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

My Z is a 2003 and I didn't replace my original battery until the fall of 2010. The battery was still working good but I was beginning to think it would fail. I took it to the dealer and had them replace it. 7 years is a pretty good time frame for a battery to last. Hopefully my new battery will last as long.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang, how much does the stealer-ship charge for replacing battert? I would never pay for somebody to swap batts, just throw your money away IMO. I think most advanced auto shops have free batt installation etc. And I have a very good batt place here that was only about $50-60 bucks, warranty and more CCA also.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:38 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by taywan
Dang, how much does the stealer-ship charge for replacing battert? I would never pay for somebody to swap batts, just throw your money away IMO. I think most advanced auto shops have free batt installation etc. And I have a very good batt place here that was only about $50-60 bucks, warranty and more CCA also.
There was no charge for installation. I just checked and the battery cost me $108.32 including sales tax. That was for an OEM battery. I only paid for the cost of the battery.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:04 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh that's nice of them. That's prob best bet to go is OEM batt. Think they're supposed to last 8years or so. I was about to go that route BC a friend tech works there and gets me discounts but I'd already purchased one.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I replaced my 2003’s OEM battery in 2010. Like KarverCorner, my battery was still working but getting a little weak.

I went with an Optimum Red Top because of my very positive experience with this battery on my off-road vehicle (in which you never want a battery failure… 10+ miles from the highway ).

The Optima cost a little more, but it might be my last battery in this car that I’ve had for 10 years now.

--Spike
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromatic
Well.. I'd rather have it than not. And.. not for the "looks" really. For the limited protection from the elements.. debris, water, whatever -- Nice to have your battery covered completely.. your clutch cylinder covered and so on.

I think it's aesthetics (looks) -- but also serves a purpose of keeping unwanted weather/debris from the areas as well (esp. battery). But mostly looks. The car manufacturers typically try to cut corners wherever possible on mass production as it all adds up. Every shroud may seem like a $20 part to us... but do that 100,000 time over X years.. or more.

But the trend with the newer cars (2003'ish and newer) is the plastic coverings and trim on the engine.
They're called "idiot hoods" and they serve two purposes: 1) aesthetics; and 2) they keep the unwashed noob masses from tinkering with the engine.

They actually cause problems since they make for perfect little rodent homes. Sometimes, repairing an engine is as simple as taking off the idiot hood and looking at all the chewed up wire under there that some cold mouse nibbled on while making a nice, warm personal condo for itself.

I wish they'd just design nice looking engines with painted valve covers like in the old days, but oh well. Who wants to look at all those wires and molex connectors and plastic tubing when they can see a nice brushed aluminum cover with a shiny hamburger emblem on it instead?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Joaquin350

The first time it took me to replace the battery on my Z was about 25 minutes just because of all the plastic you have to take off before you are able to remove the battery. not to mention that even with the fuse box unclipped, it still gets in the way. It wasn't that bad compared to my sisters' Volkswagen Beetle. There is just so little working room in that cars engine compartment and the battery sits in the corner. Lets just say it took me quite a while to do that job.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 PM
gacook

I'm big and have large hands. Took about 2 seconds to pull the battery out, and maybe 5 to put the new one in with the plastic covers removed.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 PM
gacook

I have a telescoping flashlight that has a magnetic end. GREAT purchase! Drop a screw/bolt/nut/whatever down in the engine bay somewhere you can't reach, simply extend the flashlight and the magnet picks it up. I think I got it at Autozone or Home Depot...don't exactly remember. Was cheap-ish, though.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:41 PM
kenp

2007 i cant find the hole where the rear battery hold down is attached. Where is it?

Quick Reply: Wow... What a job replacing the Battery in the 350z is!