Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help new clutch issues!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 PM
NFSP 350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help new clutch issues!

Short version, new clutch and flywheel install. Clutch wasn't wanting to disengage. Adjusted clutch pedal bracket and re bled slave and car drives but clutch engagement is on floor. Before engagement was aprox 3/4 up. I'm not entirely confident that clutch is fully releasing. What is possible problem?

Okay so here is the tl/dr story for those who want every detail
04 350Z Enthusiast Edition with 69,500 miles

First of all 4 years/ 13,000 miles ago I had a Fidanza 3.2 clutch and Nismo flywheel professionally installed. Sense then approximately 6,000 ago I added the RJM v2 pedal bracket. Back September last year my clutch started slipping 😠! I did a little research and found tons of pressure plate failures from Fidanza around the 3-6k mile mark. At the time I had to park the Z because I didn't have funds to order parts. Got a bonus at end of the year so I ordered a Z1 Street performance full face clutch flywheel combo.

Yesterday I took the Z to my friend auto shop and put the Z on the lift. We dropped trans and installed new pilot bushing and Koyo throw out bearing , new flywheel and new clutch and pressure plate. Here is where the first problem starts. There were no instructions or torque specs with kit. DIY thread said 25 Ft lbs but we THOUGHT my friends tech program said 36 - 44 Ft lbs so we torque to 40. Put everything together and lowered Z to test drive , when we realized , car off, in gear ,clutch in car wouldn't roll. Clutch was still locked up! We bled the slave even though we never opened it. Still no better. So I left Z at his shop. Called my friend and he said we probably over torqued the pressure plate .

Today we went back with 2 other DIY car guys and re dropped the trans and re torque the pressure plate to 25 ft lbs. Double checked throw out bearing and Put it back together and while it seemed better still was locked up. So it hit me ,my RJM bracket was tuned for shortest throw with proper operation. So I readjusted the brackets for much longer travel. Then the problem did seem much better. We re bled the slave it seemed to work but clutch engagement is the second my foot starts to lift at the bottom. I'm not entirely confident the clutch is fully releasing. I did drive it home and it drove and shifted smooth but still engages on floor. Before it was probably 3/4 up.
So what may be the problem? We came up with one theory but we maybe completely wrong in our thinking. Old clutch had weak pressure plate. Is it possible my slave or master cylinder is to weak to disengage the clutch and I didn't know it because of the bad pressure plate?

Last edited by NFSP 350; 02-03-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Torque on the bolts that attach the pressure plate to the flywheel won't affect how the clutch engages as long as there's no gap between the PP and the flywheel. Forty foot-pounds sounds high for that size bolts, but you should check the Nissan service manual to be sure.

Found a procedure here that says 30-33 ft-lbs:
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...GEN-2-ONLY.pdf

The non-release or low engagement point issue is a result of the position of the fingers on the clutch diaphragm spring not engaging the TOB correctly. It could be poor design, not following the installation procedure correctly, or maybe the release lever isn't on the pivot bolt like it should be.

The after-market bracket also affects the engagement point, as you already know. I'd start there for answers.

If you can get the transmission in reverse without grinding, the clutch is releasing far enough and not dragging.

Last edited by winchman; 02-02-2014 at 10:18 PM.