Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

"Safe Mode" Due to Misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:02 PM
looq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Safe Mode" Due to Misfire?

Hi guys, I've been troubled with an intermittent limp mode issue and really cannot narrow down what could be causing it but think I might have an idea and wanted to run it by people who are more mechanically inclined than myself.

basically the car some days ill start it and it accelerates the same it did the day I bought it, and others I can be at WOT and it revs to redline but just really doesn't go anywhere its like the brakes are on.

Anyway, the car sometimes does throw codes for "cylinder 2 misfire" and "random misfire". sometimes I can hear or feel it misfire and it wont throw a code either. I also recently changed the Bank1 camshaft sensor as it was throwing a code but didn't do bank 2 at the same time or crankshaft.

So I'm assuming that because I recently changed spark plugs (after the issue was already happening) that it must be a coil pack out. Now what I was going to run by you guys was the idea that maybe, when I start the car, sometimes it will have that misfire whether I notice it or it throws a code or not would the misfire possibly cause the car to jump into limp mode? and then other times when I start the car, maybe there is no Misfire which is why the car wont go into the limp mode that time driving?

I'm just not sure, really out of ideas what could be causing this but its getting really frustrating, any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:06 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

i would replace the other camshaft sensor and the coil packs, check rockauto.com for the coil packs...
Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM
looq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thats what I was thinking of giving a try if it actually makes sense that these things could potentially be causing my limp mode issue?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:45 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

there are so many thing that can cause it, but replacing these i would consider routine maintenance depending on the year ad mileage of the car