Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help in diagnosing what is going on with clutch?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help in diagnosing what is going on with clutch?

Hey guys,..

I'm not sure if I need to replace this clutch or not..

I've been having this Clutch issue since I got the car Dec 2013.. Had 26k .. Now has 35k.

But basically the clutch doesn't slip in the typical manner. It drives normal when driving normal.

For example.. If I put it in 5th or 6th gear while going 15-20mph (super slow).. and floor it.. the clutch does NOT slip one bit. Same for any test of that manner.. putting it in a gear that almost bogs.. that would rev up a bit with a slipping clutch.

MY problem is when I get to about 4,000 RPM and above.. When I shift gears (doesn't matter which ) -- When I get into the next gear.. it will "rev" freely 100-200 rpm then come right back down to normal. It's brief but definitely not normal.

I can't get the full potential out of the car and am , honestly, scared to push it too hard because I'm unsure if the clutch is about to go.. or if it's something else.

I'm prepared to get another clutch put in if need be -- I just don't want to get that done if it's something else.. and waste a ton of money. I mean this car does have 35k miles and I bought it with 26k and have babied it.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me isolate the problem? (The pedal doesn't fall to the floor) -- (I've changed the clutch fluid out).

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Go 45mph in 4th gear up a hill and put the pedal to the floor, if rpms go up like crazy, time for a new clutch.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
Go 45mph in 4th gear up a hill and put the pedal to the floor, if rpms go up like crazy, time for a new clutch.
Thanks.

I've done that, and other tests like it. 45mph in 4th.. pedal down no slip.

30mph in 6th pedal down = no slip.

It's why it's odd.. and I don't want to do a whole new clutch system if it's something else.

It's when I take it for a "spirited" rowing through the gears.. and only when I get 5k and above and shift.. When I hit that next gear and release the clutch it just barely slips a bit (I'd guess 200 rpms maybe) then locks back and doesn't slip anymore.

So it's only high rpms.. and just after the shift for a half second at best.

I live in Birmingham, AL -- zipcode 35242 if anyone knows a trusted shop/mechanic around here that could do the work for good prices and do it right? (Just throwing that out there as I know none that know Z's.. except this one Z shop 20 minutes or so from me that the guy charges $275 an hour. It's a Z, not a ferrari .. (I got that rate when I asked about his rate to put some exhaust on..)

The only thing that comes to my head is the slave cylinder .. but I don't have the pedal dropping to the floor or other typical signs of it being bad.

I've changed the clutch fluid.. but no help.

Thanks for your help guys..
Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

if it was the slave it would get softer feeling one day and then the very next it would stick to the floor (at least in my case).
Old 10-16-2014, 04:42 AM
dowo12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to ask that. i have the same problem. I did all clutch tests i found on the forum-everything is fine. Sometimes when i go above 4000rpm it revs for maybe 100.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:43 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

maybe it is the slave starting to act up.... it is weird though