Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Just got alignment, steering wheel slightly off, pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just got alignment, steering wheel slightly off, pulls to the right

Hello fellas, I replaced my shocks last weekend so got an alignment yesterday. When I drove off I noticed the steering wheel is not completely centered, I have to steer slightly left to go straight, and if I let the steering wheel go at freeway speeds it pulls to the right hard.

I took it back to the alignment shop (who I've been using for a couple of years now with no previous issues), he put it back on the rack and, per the computer, the steering wheel is dead centered. He assures me the alignment is perfect and I must have a defective tire.

I replaced tires less than two months ago, and even after replacing the shocks last weekend I could have sworn the steering wheel was straight and it wouldn't pull. He claims the steering wheel was way off before the alignment and I probably just didn't notice it.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar before?

Thank you in advance for any input
Old 06-18-2015, 09:55 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

If your mechanic or alignment shop can't fix it, they are not very good at what they do.

Visit a TOP-TIER tire shop. Not one of the cheap chains. Find one that is an expert at problem solving these type of problems.

(My "guy" for example, is on a NASCAR team and is responsible for tuning the suspensions)

I discovered that most of the cheap chain stores THINK they have good equipment and technicians . . . . . but it is simply not true.

Last edited by JCat; 06-18-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:13 AM
DesertSleeper

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I just really hadn't had any issues with this shop before so I didn't have the need to find a better spot, but it's definitely time.....

That's pretty cool that you have a nascar car quality alignment guy though.....if u don't mind me asking, how much does he charge u for an alignment?

I just made an acquaintance that has a shop and does alignments the old fashion way, with strings and all. Guess it's much more accurate than the machine but takes a lot longer depending on the set up u want.....

Originally Posted by JCat
If your mechanic or alignment shop can't fix it, they are not very good at what they do.

Visit a TOP-TIER tire shop. Not one of the cheap chains. Find one that is an expert at problem solving these type of problems.

(My "guy" for example, is on a NASCAR team and is responsible for tuning the suspensions)

I discovered that most of the cheap chain stores THINK they have good equipment and technicians . . . . . but it is simply not true.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 PM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have the same problem and it's driving me nuts. Gonna bring it to another shop. More then anything the steering wheel not being dead center just irks the hell out of me
Old 06-18-2015, 01:01 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

I have coil-overs with adjustable height, and the SPC adjustable camber kits at all 4 corners.

Unlike the stock setup, EVERYTHING can be adjusted.

Best money I've spent on the -Z-. The handling performance is vastly improved.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:58 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

More than likely your caster is off you may want to check your radius arm bushings.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:25 PM
DesertSleeper

Thanks for the input fellas

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Have the same problem and it's driving me nuts. Gonna bring it to another shop. More then anything the steering wheel not being dead center just irks the hell out of me
I know exactly what u mean. I'm gonna do the same, found a spot about hour away that specializes in alignments so i'm gonna make the drive, it's bugging the s$%# outta me

Originally Posted by JCat
I have coil-overs with adjustable height, and the SPC adjustable camber kits at all 4 corners.

Unlike the stock setup, EVERYTHING can be adjusted.

Best money I've spent on the -Z-. The handling performance is vastly improved.
Yeah Im lowered on hotchkis right now, it works for me, I really don't need height adjustability. I have the SPC for the rear only, Ive been wanting to get the adjustable arms for the front.

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
More than likely your caster is off you may want to check your radius arm bushings.
The guy at the alignment shop told me rotate the front tires left to right (since they're not directional) and if it pulled to the left instead that would confirm it's a bad tire. Swapped them this afternoon and its doing the exact same thing, so its gotta be the alignment.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:17 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Post the alignment sheet
Old 06-23-2015, 11:17 AM
DesertSleeper

Default Alignment sheet

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Post the alignment sheet

I swapped the front tires as the tech suggested and it was still pulling to the right. Ended up taking it to a different spot in Glendora that does alignments the old school way. They spent about an hour on it. They said the toe was off in the front but the rear required a bunch of work. They straightened out my steering wheel too. It seems to drive smoother now, but the pull to the right is still there.....

Last edited by DesertSleeper; 06-23-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-30-2015, 07:20 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

If the pull is still there, I would find a shop or technician that would be willing to play with the settings until it is gone.