Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

04 350z cranks no start

Old 01-09-2016, 02:36 PM
coyd1452

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 350z cranks no start

Ok, Ill start off with stating I am 95% sure it is the NATS system. It will crank and crank as long as i wish to torture the engine but will not fire. I could then turn the power off and repeat once or twice until NATS would kick off and the fuel pump would then prime the system. That started about 2 months ago. Here in the past week it has gotten worse to where when I first started it, it would idle for a few seconds then die. Then I would repeat the process and then it would be fine. The last time I drove the car it dies twice at start up then was fine. Go to start today to go cruise around with my old man and it wouldnt start at all. After about five minutes it finally did. Sat and idled for a few then my dad got in and when he shut the door it died and will not restart.

I can tell it is the NATS because i can see the blinking red light in the windshield. I am wondering if any of you know how much it is to fix this or any way to fix it.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:06 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome- seems like you are making your own diagnosis. If it's a NATS problem (and you have no specific tuning or diagnostic tools), your best bet is to take it to a Nissan dealer. They'll usually charge you an hour of shop time (which varies by area) to diagnose the problem, but add to that would be the time to reprogram and check your keys.

Before you commit to that, make sure your battery and electrical system is in top shape. How old is your battery? When was the last time you cleaned and checked your electrical connections and ground?
Old 01-09-2016, 06:39 PM
coyd1452

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery terminals should be tight, just checked those earlier in the week. as to everything else electrical, i dont know. ive only had the car since the beginning of October. What do you suggest checking?

reason i say its the NATS is when i turn the power on and the fuel pump doesnt prime i will see the red light flash in the windshield. if the fuel pump does prime, the light is no longer flashing. i have seen in another page that this is the most common cause of the problem.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:55 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Take a close look at the negative side and make sure it's clean and properly grounded. Beyond being tight, make sure the terminals themselves are clean and free of corrosion on the inside and bottom of the terminals themselves. Again, how old is your battery?

I'm suggesting you do these EASY tasks before taking it into the dealer.