Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Intermittent cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:40 PM
DuncanIdaho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured the dealership was exaggerating. I bought the coils. They should arrive next monday. I appreciate the offer to help but I make it a habit not to share my phone number online if I don't have to. No offense intended. I'll see if I can find some detailed instructions on how to do it. If not, I'll probably be back asking for step by step instructions. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:04 AM
KJFire4Life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

No prob I get that, safety first! Use this:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...r-gaskets.html
to get the plenum off. Remember to be careful of the plenum gaskets. My suggestion and the trick I use. There are two hoses that connect to the back of the plenum into throttle body. One is really long, other is just long enough and has coolant in it (not a lot). Pop off the short one and stick a bolt in it lol, the other one don't even bother with, once you're plenum is free lift straight up and rotate the entire assembly around, rest the plenum over where your brake fluid and clutch fluid is (if your 6MT) You've just gained access to ALL the coils and didn't spill more then 3 or 4 drops of coolant Good luck bud! Let us know if you got questions
Old 03-15-2016, 07:00 PM
DuncanIdaho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update.

This past Saturday I replaced all six coil packs. With the help of a friend, it took about an hour and a half. Unfortunately I discovered a couple milliliters of oil at the bottom of two of the spark plug valves, one on each side. I cleaned them out with a rag. The car was running fine until today. The problem resurfaced again so it looks like the valve cover and gaskets need to be replaced.

I checked out that thread about how to replace them but I'm not really sure if I'm willing to try that on my own or even with a friend. Replacing the coil packs was the first time either of us had attempted fixing something ourselves. I just need the car to last until the end of April when I buy a new car.

About how many would valve cover assemblies and gaskets cost? Thanks
Old 03-15-2016, 07:09 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

400 for both. Install is pretty involved

I did mine for my random misfires and oil in a couple plugs....same problem. Ugh