Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 350z 6MT won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 PM
iisparkii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 350z 6MT won't start

Hi all, I am in a pickle. Tried a lot things to figure it out and the only things left to do is blow up the car, only joking.

Anyways, My 2003 350z track 6MT was garaged for several months, Every weekend or so i started the car no problem and drove it around the block.This year I went traveling for 2 months and when i came back the car started up and then slowly started dying.

So I checked the fuel and it had 1/4 tank left and i decided to add more fuel into the tank. And tried again and this time when i turn the key the car would just crank but would not start. The light works without any issues and does not dim when i turn the key. I check the battery which is good and its Not throwing any Codes that i can look at.

I checked all the fuses and they were all good as well. Took the starter out and went to auto zone and they tested it bad. So i got a new one and installed it. But it still has the same issues. I checked all the ignition coils and spark plugs and still the same problem.

The next thing i was thing was going to do was have the alternator tested and maybe look at the fuel pump, Although i do hear it every time i turn the ignition on. I have read people mentioning something with the security system and the key itself, clutch interlock switch, and even the Camshaft Position sensor or Crankshaft Position sensor. I did replace the camshaft position sensor about 2 years ago.

I was also wondering is their a way to test if fuel in getting to the engine? I was thinking maybe the lines got clogged by possible old gas/sludge.

If it helps I can upload videos to help.

Anyways thank you for any kind of assistance, I really do appreciate it.

Last edited by iisparkii; 05-16-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Two things:

1. If you pull your starter and take it to Autozone, O'Reilley's, etc., they're ALWAYS going to tell you it's bad. Check the bench tester readings on the "bad" starter you took out of your car and then have them pull the new starter out of the box. I can pretty much guarantee you that you're going to get the exact same reading. It's a huge moneymaking scam for these guys. There are ways to test your starter without removing it from the car, but you're going to need to get the right tool for it (you can look that part up yourself.)

2. How did you test your battery? Did you do a carbon pile load test or use a battery reluctance tester? Did you check for voltage drop? Did you just use a volt meter? How old is the battery?

I think you're considering a lot of worst case issues when you should be focusing more on the easy stuff (i.e. bad battery) first. Try swapping the one in your car with a known good one from another car and see if the problem goes away.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:27 PM
iisparkii

Thank you Zak for the reply.

I was skeptical about their testing but gave them the benefit of the doubt. Though now i can say the starter is not the problem. spark plugs does give spark. And just a moment ago I sprayed some starter fluid into the TB and the car started momentarily and then died.

so wouldn't that mean engine is not getting any fuel?

thanks again

Last edited by iisparkii; 05-18-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:49 PM
350VRz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys I wanted to add some comments to this because I have been fighting the same issue. My car will not crank. So common things I found when this happened was that I heard no fuel pump and my wipers would not work. Looking at the circuit for the IPDM it looks like the only common link is the ignition switch. I also sometimes would get ABS and brake light staying on but engine running. The ignition switch provides power to the starter relay and Ignition relay. The Ignition relay provides power to the fuel pump relay, wiper relays/fuse and ABS system. When it was faulted, I was able to confirm power was missing from the ignition switch. There are five separate main circuits the ignition switch feeds. Beck/Arnley 201-1825 Ignition Switch
Old 02-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Mat33n

Wrong post sorry

Last edited by Mat33n; 02-28-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Axel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 03 had the same issue. Troubleshot the battery (replaced it, still no joy), checked wires and fuses. Ended up being the starter. The starter as it was dying, shorted out the battery. Hope this helps.