Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Cranks but won't start, no code...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:58 PM
NR350z

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So, a little follow-up, as of Saturday the CRANK SENSOR has been replaced and (knock on wood) I have yet to have a starting issue.

Issue seems to be resolved, for now, the fact that it is intermittent is a little worrisome, but, it may be in my head, the car seems to start up much stronger now, but probably mostly in my head. LOL
Old 03-07-2018, 05:36 PM
highflyinkilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the same problem with my 07. Did this solve it?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:28 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by highflyinkilla
Having the same problem with my 07. Did this solve it?
Almost 3 year dead thread bump
Old 03-07-2018, 07:25 PM
highflyinkilla

Originally Posted by travlee
Almost 3 year dead thread bump
Ive been searching web the past week and this thread matches my problem exactly. Was hoping poster might see.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Seth82

Default Mine also won't crank and reads no code

Hey y'all. I have an 06 350z. Today I was I going down the road and the car started to bog down. I pulled over, shut it off and tried to restart it. Nothing. It will turn over but won't crank up. I put a code reader on it and but it gave me no code. Came back with a trailer, tried to start it again. It sounded like it was wanting to start up. After several attempts of hope it eventually did. Idled fine for a few minutes but eventually died. Got it home and it still wont fully crank up.
Tried the SEL reset procedure ( I did it right ).... nothing. Fuel pump is turning on ( not sure of the psi output )
read a reply in the past with the same issue and they replaced the cam shaft sensor. Someone even replaced the crankshaft sensor too and both methods worked. I'll more than likely replace those sensors to see if that works. Gonna try the cheapest troubleshooting first. Just hope its not a timing issue, although it did idle at one point. Anyone have the same problem? If so, what did you do?...

Mass air flow is new
6spd manual
Battery is excellent
Full tank of gas
Old 01-19-2021, 05:01 PM
IcyKnova

Originally Posted by Seth82
Hey y'all. I have an 06 350z. Today I was I going down the road and the car started to bog down. I pulled over, shut it off and tried to restart it. Nothing. It will turn over but won't crank up. I put a code reader on it and but it gave me no code. Came back with a trailer, tried to start it again. It sounded like it was wanting to start up. After several attempts of hope it eventually did. Idled fine for a few minutes but eventually died. Got it home and it still wont fully crank up.
Tried the SEL reset procedure ( I did it right ).... nothing. Fuel pump is turning on ( not sure of the psi output )
read a reply in the past with the same issue and they replaced the cam shaft sensor. Someone even replaced the crankshaft sensor too and both methods worked. I'll more than likely replace those sensors to see if that works. Gonna try the cheapest troubleshooting first. Just hope its not a timing issue, although it did idle at one point. Anyone have the same problem? If so, what did you do?...

Mass air flow is new
6spd manual
Battery is excellent
Full tank of gas

I’m having this problem now. Changed cam sensors and it didn’t work. What did you end up doing?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:21 AM
Seth82

Originally Posted by IcyKnova
I’m having this problem now. Changed cam sensors and it didn’t work. What did you end up doing?
I also changed the cam sensors, but ended up being the fuel pump lol. I bought mine from NAPA. Easy install. Just open up the storage compartment behind the passenger seat, pull up the bottom lining and you'll see access to the pump. 10-15 min job. Good luck!!
Old 05-19-2021, 08:30 AM
Nubz

Default similar problem

I am having a similar problem. My car would suddenly turn off if I came to a complete stop at a light or something. Before I could just put it in neutral and turn it back on. Then it did not turn back on. I put in a new crank shift position sensor and cam shift position sensor. I put in a new alternator and a new battery. I tried to drive it to test it out, it worked for a little but then suddenly turned off on me. It just died, I was slowing down but not even stopped, it did not want to turn on after that. It would crank but not start. Since I have put in a new starter. Now it cranks but won't start. I have no idea what else to do. This is getting very expensive. I am very upset about my car, especially now that it's summer, I was really looking forward to driving with the top down. Does anyone else have any idea what is going on? Please help me.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:41 AM
travlee
Master

did you replace with oem sensors?
Old 05-19-2021, 09:50 AM
Nubz

did you replace with oem sensors?
no, replaced with sensors I purchased at O'reilly's.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:52 AM
travlee
Master

it is a pretty well known fact that the car doesnt like non oem sensors
Old 05-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Nubz

it is a pretty well known fact that the car doesnt like non oem sensors

I was unaware of that, I had not seen that anywhere. Would you happen to have a link for where to find OEM sensors?

I have read and seen multiple videos of people using non OEM sensors that did not have this issue.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:17 AM
travlee
Master

https://www.courtesyparts.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=non+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 05-19-2021, 02:51 PM
Seth82

Originally Posted by Nubz
I am having a similar problem. My car would suddenly turn off if I came to a complete stop at a light or something. Before I could just put it in neutral and turn it back on. Then it did not turn back on. I put in a new crank shift position sensor and cam shift position sensor. I put in a new alternator and a new battery. I tried to drive it to test it out, it worked for a little but then suddenly turned off on me. It just died, I was slowing down but not even stopped, it did not want to turn on after that. It would crank but not start. Since I have put in a new starter. Now it cranks but won't start. I have no idea what else to do. This is getting very expensive. I am very upset about my car, especially now that it's summer, I was really looking forward to driving with the top down. Does anyone else have any idea what is going on? Please help me.
Back when I had this problem, i changed out the same sensors that you did. Come to find out, it ended up being the fuel pump. I would think if it were any kind of senor, you would have a " Service Engine " light not. I know I didnt.
I'm not saying that your issue is your fuel pump, but I really hope it is. You can get one for under 300 bucks and it's super easy to change it out
Old 05-19-2021, 03:24 PM
Nubz

Originally Posted by Seth82
Back when I had this problem, i changed out the same sensors that you did. Come to find out, it ended up being the fuel pump. I would think if it were any kind of senor, you would have a " Service Engine " light not. I know I didnt.
I'm not saying that your issue is your fuel pump, but I really hope it is. You can get one for under 300 bucks and it's super easy to change it out
I did have a service engine light.

I came to the conclusion about the sensors because I got the code read at O’reilly’s.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Seth82

Originally Posted by Nubz
I did have a service engine light.

I came to the conclusion about the sensors because I got the code read at O’reilly’s.
I've only had my Z for about 2 years now. One thing I cant stand about modern vehicles is that they are a computer on wheels. Seems like if the cigarette lighter port is bad, the ECU will throw a fault to your Mass Air Flow Sensor. I try to ignore computers and Sensors and start with the basics..... Air, Spark, Fuel, Compression, Battery........
if one of those things are off it will cause issues, including sensor faults.

If you got a code reading at oriely and replaced whatever part needed and it still didnt work. Then I would consider looking at your fuel pressure. I'm not sure but I think the fuel psi should be around 40-65 psi. I just have a strange feeling that your fuel pump is going bad.

I'm not a car nerd, I just been in your same shoes before and I'm speaking from experience. Good luck and please keep us posted !!
Old 05-20-2021, 04:07 PM
Nubz

Default Help

As I was putting the starter back I saw this wire.
I have no idea where it goes to. I noticed it today. I don’t recall taking it off.
no idea where it’s supposed to go and can’t find anything online to help.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:11 PM
travlee
Master

Power wire prob from aftermarket stereo
The following users liked this post:
Nubz (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:32 PM
Nubz

So I have nothing to worry about then?
Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 PM
travlee
Master

If you aren't using it, I would pull it out or cut it off

Quick Reply: Cranks but won't start, no code...