Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Aftermarket ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:39 AM
mazzotta.al

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket ignition coils

Had my #5 ignition coil go, and have been told by several mechanics that if one goes the rest are likely to go soon. I imagine they are original since i just got the car at 90K and its at 92K now. Had a shop replace the first one but I'm going to get the other 5 on hand for when they fail. I think my code scanner will tell me which cylinder since it did on my old car when they failed.

I'm looking at autozone.com and they have duralast ones for half the price of OEM. They also have a limited lifetime warranty. Has anyone had issues with the duralast coils? As far as I know if they work, they work. Its more a matter of how long they will last before they fail regarding differences in quality (OEM vs cheaper). Is this right?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzotta.al
Had my #5 ignition coil go, and have been told by several mechanics that if one goes the rest are likely to go soon. I imagine they are original since i just got the car at 90K and its at 92K now. Had a shop replace the first one but I'm going to get the other 5 on hand for when they fail. I think my code scanner will tell me which cylinder since it did on my old car when they failed.

I'm looking at autozone.com and they have duralast ones for half the price of OEM. They also have a limited lifetime warranty. Has anyone had issues with the duralast coils? As far as I know if they work, they work. Its more a matter of how long they will last before they fail regarding differences in quality (OEM vs cheaper). Is this right?

Thanks!
Get OEM only. Buy what is needed. Just because one goes, it DOES NOT mean the others are on their way out. You may need to begin looking for a different mechanic too.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:26 PM
mazzotta.al

Hm well three different mechanics said the same thing including a Nissan dealership though that may not help my case...why oem only? What's the difference especially if I have a warranty on the aftermarket part?
Old 09-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzotta.al
Hm well three different mechanics said the same thing including a Nissan dealership though that may not help my case...why oem only? What's the difference especially if I have a warranty on the aftermarket part?
Yeah, coilpacks are non mechanical and can usually be inspected by looking at the rubber insulation. Sometimes they get damaged when changing the sparkplugs. they're easy to change and can be done by yourself. If you're issue is pointing to a specific cylinder then I would change that one. It's not going to hurt if you change all of them but you may get another 90k from your current ones. When it comes to our elecrical systems and sensors, our cars can be very picky and non oem parts are hit or miss. I've purchased plenty of non oem parts thinking i was saving money, only having to remove the aftermarket and replace with oem. There are great aftermarket parts for our vehicles but not when it comes to our electical system and sensors. The difference can be the amount of resistance, the length of coil used, etc. just because something is made to fit, does not necessarily mean that it will function properly with the entire system. Pay once, cry once.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:28 PM
mazzotta.al

Yea I replaced all the plugs so I am definitely capable of replacing the coils myself. I appreciate the advice tho I will hold off until another one fails and buy oem one at a time.