Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Umm... Dropped Bolt in Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Umm... Dropped Bolt in Engine Bay

So we all know working on the battery is hard especially if you're a butterfingers..

I was installing a battery tie down because my Z didn't come with one. Of course I dropped the nut down the the battery area. I took the battery out and looked for it but can't seem to find it.

1) Where does the open area of the battery compartment go? I know it's located near the passenger strut, so I'm thinking it could fall out.

2) Is it safe to start/drive the car. Worst case scenerio is this coming in contact with a moving part i.e. engine or brakes.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2016, 08:13 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I would try a telescoping magnet with a really good flashlight from the battery access area. If that fails you can remove the tire and rear half of that fender liner.
Since you state the small nut is missing (not the long bolt) I'm thinking it should be ok to drive, I don't see it causing steering or suspension binding.
Good luck!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

once u take out the battery, you can take out the battery tray piece that is held down by 2 bolts. once u take this out u can prob find ur missing bolt. but even if you don't find it I think you will be fine. its not going into the engine, it can't destroy your suspension and won't get lodged in between ur pads and rotor.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:50 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Yeah wouldnt worry too much about it... On a side note how does that tray come out? I removed the 2 bolts and couldn't get mine out...

I even used a pry bar... Their was water in my voids maybe theirs another few bolts inside their.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:52 AM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Yeah wouldnt worry too much about it... On a side note how does that tray come out? I removed the 2 bolts and couldn't get mine out...

I even used a pry bar... Their was water in my voids maybe theirs another few bolts inside their.
hey dboyzalter, I believe there are 4 bolts total IIRC. making me 2nd guess myself now if i ever even removed that tray. but i'm sure i did because i lost the little hook that holds down the battery brace thingy and had to DIG
The following users liked this post:
dboyzalter (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:27 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys.. Tried to locate, no luck. I did remove the battery tray as well and had a magnet. Sigh! It's lost in the abyss.