Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Installing NOS and now car won't start.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Z-olaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing NOS and now car won't start.

Nitrous... Not even once my friends.

Well basically what happened is we had most everything hooked up and ready to go except the window switch. The guy installing has had issues with window switches in these cars in the past, and has therefore not done one yet. We searched for a TPS signal in the ignition coils and tried the different ones. Well when we got to testing the last wire it was accidentally left unplugged when the car started, but it did start. After I turned it off and plugged the wire back in the car had failed to start. Fan remains on high, fuel pump didn't pump until we manually connected it directly to the battery and when we did the fuel pump worked, but when we tried to start it an ignition coil began smoking and was smoldering hot. I ordered two new ones but the electrical issue is still at hand. Any thoughts???? All electrical work has been backtracked and put on hold until we figure this out

Last edited by Z-olaf; 04-11-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:33 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you check the fuses, both in the battery compartment fuse box and the IPDM? Also, when you turn on the car, does the fan stay on? If they do, you could have a bad ipdm, bad ipdm fuse, or bad ecu.

Also perform an auto active test:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...tive-test.html
The following users liked this post:
Z-olaf (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Z-olaf

Originally Posted by BakaN20
Did you check the fuses, both in the battery compartment fuse box and the IPDM? Also, when you turn on the car, does the fan stay on? If they do, you could have a bad ipdm, bad ipdm fuse, or bad ecu.

Also perform an auto active test:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...tive-test.html
Good advice on the auto active test. Never heard of that before. Not sure what an ipdm is, but we did check both fuse boxes in the battery area, switched all relays, and the fuse box in the drivers side by the kick plate.
Fan does stay on. I'll give the auto active test a try though
Old 04-12-2017, 01:04 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Fans staying on is a sign that the ecu is not working in some way, either it is bad or the connection receiving or sending is broken somewhere.

From this picture, you can see that there is an ECM(ecu) relay. If you take a look at the plastic cover of the ipdm, it lists the fuses, one of them is also for the ecm I believe.

That wire you left unplugged could have touched metal or something like that and maybe fry your ecm.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Z-olaf

Okay so we gave the auto active test a try and it worked. The ECU looks fine, and does not smell fried, none of the relays or fuses are bad. Any ideas? Anyone?

Search this Thread