Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 350z keeps killing fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 01:13 PM
hamadanova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2003 350z keeps killing fuel pumps

hello there,

right i have a 2003 base model 350z manual with 96k miles on it ..
the car runs and drives amazingly untill this saturday when the fuel pump died ..

well this is how it happend

was cruzing and then the car kept bogging and then back to normal then died
turned the switch off and then on the fuel pump was silent stayed half an hour on the side of the street then tried again fuel pump started like normal car started drove for 5 minutes then the car died .. towed it home and done a quick fuel pump change all was good.

the next day again fuel pump died

took the car to a local workshop dropped the tank and fully cleaned the tank .. it was very dirty with some metal rust leftovers .. and yeah cleaned the injectors too

third fuel pump change done and then it took it only 5 minutes until it died too

any one knows what i missed doing apart from cleaning the tank and injectors..

cheers
Old 06-15-2017, 04:40 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you using an OEM pump? Does the fuel gauge still work? Did it run normally for the 5 minutes the pumps ran?

My guess its probably electrical/wiring related. Probably a bad ground.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:21 PM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some other thoughts:

Did you check the fuel pumps when they were removed from the fuel tank? Do they run fine when not mounted? You should be able to power them up to check that out? If they work fine off the car then look for wiring, restrictions, etc...

I assume you changed the fuel filter when all of this happened? If you have a lot of crude in the tank I'm sure it made it to the fuel filter. Possible plug?

I'm not exactly sure how the fuel system works but I think it is close-loop control on fuel pressure. Find the fuel pressure sensor to the injectors and check that sensor? Maybe you have a bad pressure sensor and it thinks you have fuel pressure so it tells the pump to stop pumping? (assuming the fuel pump check works when powered up off the tank)

Long shot...when you get down to not knowing what else to check...I believe most cars have a rollover sensor that shuts off the fuel pump when it thinks the car has rolled over and is upside down. Or something like that.