Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 350Z Door handle not working. Anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:42 AM
CityGirl350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 350Z Door handle not working. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a 2003 350Z and my door handle is not working for some reason. Both doors unlock when I disarm my car, but when I pull on driver's side door handle the driver's side door does not able. For the last couple of days I have been getting into my car through the passenger's side door and then hopping over the center console area. Has anyone else experienced this problem? How did you get it fixed? How much did it cost to get it fixed? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 08:49 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

the outside handle has a plastic piece on it that breaks. does the door still open from the inside? if so, and you have the key fob, push and hold the unlock button and the windows will roll down, then you can just reach in and open the door from that side.

replacing the handle takes sub 15 min, all you need is new handle and a 10mm socket.. but do not drop the bolt into the door....

how to
https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...placement.html

handle
http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan/...handle-outside

Last edited by travlee; 06-21-2017 at 08:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CityGirl350Z (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 AM
CityGirl350Z

Thank you for the quick response Travlee! Yes, the door does open from the inside just not from the outside. Thank you for the links. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help
Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
the outside handle has a plastic piece on it that breaks. does the door still open from the inside? if so, and you have the key fob, push and hold the unlock button and the windows will roll down, then you can just reach in and open the door from that side.

replacing the handle takes sub 15 min, all you need is new handle and a 10mm socket.. but do not drop the bolt into the door....

how to

handle
Totally this. ^^^

And to answer your question of "Has anyone else experienced this problem?"...

Only EVERYONE. And if anyone comes back and says "that's never happened to me.", I'd add "...yet.". Pretty well known issue that at some point becomes a "when, NOT if". Laff....

"Usually", however, the inside latch fails before the outside but cross that bridge when you get to it. (Hoping you're an exception and it doesn't fail though.)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:54 AM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CityGirl350Z
I have a 2003 350Z and my door handle is not working for some reason. Both doors unlock when I disarm my car, but when I pull on driver's side door handle the driver's side door does not able. For the last couple of days I have been getting into my car through the passenger's side door and then hopping over the center console area. Has anyone else experienced this problem? How did you get it fixed? How much did it cost to get it fixed? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
My car had this problem when I bought it - passenger side as well. I believe a new handle mechanism was about $90 and it was not too hard to install. And, yes, DO NOT DROP THE BOLT unless you dont mind taking door apart and you will not like to have to do that.

Its VERY nice not to have to lower the window to open the door.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:29 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Totally this. ^^^

Only EVERYONE. And if anyone comes back and says "that's never happened to me.", I'd add "...yet.". Pretty well known issue that at some point becomes a "when, NOT if". Laff....

"Usually", however, the inside latch fails before the outside but cross that bridge when you get to it. (Hoping you're an exception and it doesn't fail though.)
Only had this problem once after some genius from Mr. Tire used his retard strength and broke my driver's side trying to open it instead of trying the alarm on th key fob first.

After NISSAN told me it'd be like a $400 job to fix it, I learned immediately how after a few DIY tutorials on YT.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Totally this. ^^^

It's happening to me right now, actually.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:03 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
My car had this problem when I bought it - passenger side as well. I believe a new handle mechanism was about $90 and it was not too hard to install. And, yes, DO NOT DROP THE BOLT unless you dont mind taking door apart and you will not like to have to do that.

Its VERY nice not to have to lower the window to open the door.

And doing it in public is LOTS of fun. It's like yeah, don't judge me.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
And doing it in public is LOTS of fun. It's like yeah, don't judge me.
When I first met my now-wife, she used to laugh at me for rolling down the window and reaching out to open the door from the outside pull. "Hey, babe, that's old school cool."

Her: "Well, I guess that's what one does when they're old."

Knew she was the one for me at that moment. Hahahahahahahaaaaaa!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Haha! Sounds like she has a good sense of humor! ..I remember when doing ^this^ was ''old school cool'' too!... Never again.
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (07-05-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM
JasonGoalie34

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh god I just wanna say I love this thread.

Yeah. I've been a Z driver for three months and it's already happened to BOTH door handles.

The driver one was on the way out, so I replaced that... now that I've put in aftermarket seats, and the passenger seat juuuuust touches the door a bit... and now it's screwed as well.

just another $90 for eBay parts!

Look, I love my Z, but the interior has always left something to be desired. Flimsy door cards, panels that don't quite snap back into place, trim that cracks under pressure, gauges that tend to fog up (I actually replaced my center gauge lenses because the old ones looked like someone had smeared krazy glue on them as some sort of practical joke)...

Bear in mind mine was an old and mistreated shell that I got for $4000. It had since been largely resurrected to serviceable status. But I replaced the seats entirely with some decent suede ones from eBay. perhaps my story is extreme... but I'm sure we've all had a good laugh or two at dumb stuff that happens with our crappy plastic parts
Old 07-04-2017, 11:35 AM
CityGirl350Z

Default Thanks to everyone that relied even the funny pics were appreciated!

Thanks for all the help everyone! I was able to fix my own door handle and seeing as I've never before fixed anything on my car with my own two hands I must say I appreciated all the replies (including the funny pics!).

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE!
Attached Thumbnails 2003 350Z Door handle not working. Anyone else have this problem?-350z_broken_doorhandle.jpg  
Old 07-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Awesome.. Happy 5th!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:05 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

how to

handle
Hey Travlee, what if neither handle works? I have a piece of coat hanger that I can hook around a linkage after rolling the window down. This allows me to manually actuate the unlock mechanism on my passenger door (2004). The door will work for a few lock/unlock cycles before binding up again in the locked position. If you've seen this one please let me know what to replace

-Mike
Old 07-05-2017, 06:25 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

sounds like the interior handle is either broke or not connected.. hard to say. take the door panel off and inspect it
Old 07-05-2017, 09:28 AM
yosip1115

sounds like the interior handle is either broke or not connected.. hard to say. take the door panel off and inspect it
Darn that was what I was attempting to avoid. Will do. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Rhodesjr83

Default 2004 350z don't won't open

My passenger door won't open from the inside or outside. Seems like the locking latch isn't going all the way back when I press the unlock button. Any advice for this
Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by Rhodesjr83
My passenger door won't open from the inside or outside. Seems like the locking latch isn't going all the way back when I press the unlock button. Any advice for this
I I don't have a permanent solution just yet but right now I use a 6 or so inch long piece of coat hanger with a hook on the end of it to pull on the lock linkage as I manually unlock the door. I roll the window down and then go in there like I'm slim jiming the door to open it
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by Rhodesjr83

Like Yosip said. Jimmy it open with a hanger first. Then remove the door panel and start inspecting for broken parts. Then repair/replace as needed.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by yosip1115
I I don't have a permanent solution just yet but right now I use a 6 or so inch long piece of coat hanger with a hook on the end of it to pull on the lock linkage as I manually unlock the door. I roll the window down and then go in there like I'm slim jiming the door to open it

lol.. That must be great fun to roll up in your awesome twin turbo Z only to have to pull a MacGyver to let someone in.. And you say to them, "This just happened today".

Quick Reply: 2003 350Z Door handle not working. Anyone else have this problem?