Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch fluid flooding back into resevoir.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Mullen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fluid flooding back into resevoir.

All stock 08 350z manual with 50k miles here.

Recently coming back from work in hot weather was stopped and went from first to second a bit high in the revs when the pedal stuck to the floor. Couldn't go in second.

Pulled over and tried to get into gear and the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor, and I had to use my foot to bring it back.
Eventually I could get it into first and not so smoothly get it rolling, eventually it seemed to be somewhat fine and would stay around halfway depressed and I could bring it up with my foot.
When i was rolling the issue seemed to go away, it was at a stop that it seemed limp and soft. I read on here to replace the fluid and mine was black, and my buddy said it took awhile at first to get any out of the lines and after awhile it was bleeding fine. Thought that would solve the issue because the pressure was there and it seemed great.
Went to the store and again the pedal stuck to the floor. After awhile it seemed fine and I could get around.
The odd part is however when I got back I tried to pump the clutch back to full pressure and eventually it was, however where the metal rod meets a ball joint at the firewall (assumed the master cylinder) it seems loose when the clutch is fully pressed, I notice it seems to wiggle. The ball looking part that the rod meets. To try and give a visual. At that point the clutch will lose all pressure and stay to the floor and all the fluid goes back into the reservoir.
I can then slowly build pressure back up. Doesn't seem there is a leak, however the cup is a little below full and then when I mess with the pedal enough the cup goes above full and loses all pressure. I tried to search for what I'm experiencing but couldn't find anything. Would love some advice, thanks guys.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:59 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Master or slave cylinder going bad are common.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

There are quite a few threads about it on here. I think it is due to a failing slave cylinder and/or master cylinder. There are upgraded ones available but require dropping the transmission(slave cylinder) to replace. The Zspeed ones seem to get recommended the most as they don't require adjustment after install.

For future reference it's easier to search the site with google using site:my350Z.com

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...3003-HR-V2.htm

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...SC-zsp2006.htm