Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Compression rod issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 12:31 PM
irbullet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compression rod issue?

well, where the compression rod for the passenger side meets the steering knuckle (the side with the joint) nut came loose and my car was clunking etc. I tightened the nut and put cotter pin in, fixed the issue and 2 days later the issue came back and the nut needed to be tightened again. Well, I did the same thing as last time but used loctite blue, got it as tight as I reasonably could and 4 days later it needs to be tightened again now. I don't know what to do, but this issue is super annoying and does anyone know what I should do?

thank you.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:13 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Are the threads stripped? Start with a new castle nut and see if that fixes it. Don't try to whittle down the bolt threads, since you're just going to weaken a very important connection. You might just want to replace the entire part if it's that far gone. Don't use Loctite unless the part calls for it. Castle nuts have cotter pins for a reason and aren't meant to be over-tightened.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 PM
irbullet

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Are the threads stripped? Start with a new castle nut and see if that fixes it. Don't try to whittle down the bolt threads, since you're just going to weaken a very important connection. You might just want to replace the entire part if it's that far gone. Don't use Loctite unless the part calls for it. Castle nuts have cotter pins for a reason and aren't meant to be over-tightened.
the threads are fine, and I got it somewhat tight but it seems like the joint itself may be bad.. seems like the whole rod moves a bit too easy
Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Can we not

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...l#post10911153
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:16 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Then replace the parts. You don't want to MacGuyver components associated with your vehicle's steering.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:13 AM
irbullet

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Yeah that's my bad I apologize. I wish I could combine the two threads. It was late and I was outside under car when I made that one.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Larrymer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem with the nut continually coming loose on mine (my replacement didn't use a cotter pin, just the nut). I used red loctite and it hasn't come loose since (months) and I torqued the **** out of it.