Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil leak coming from hose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Brvhart1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak coming from hose?

Went to do an oil change for a 350z I just bought and saw this, the oil on the pan seems to be dry . But the oil near the hose and filter is fresh. So my question is am I right to assume it’s coming from the hose. The hose seems to be kinda fat on the end after the clip .
Old 10-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Hi Sir,
what you are experience could be the oil cooler gasket failing. If you search on this site about it there are write ups and more detailed information about this issue. Its a quick fix if you are changing your oil filter. There was also something mentioned about the torquing the screw head down to spec or it backs itself out and might cause that leak also. gasket is fairly cheap too.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Clean everything(I use dollar store oven cleaner) and then start the car and look for where it's coming from
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:05 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Even the worst auto tech in the world is going to clean that mess before they make a diagnostic decision on how to proceed.

Those photos really don't tell us anything other than, "yeah, there's a leak somewhere around there."
Old 10-03-2017, 09:06 AM
zakmartin

BTW - I wouldn't get anywhere near one of those cheap cardboard FRAM oil filters. Those things are absolute junk.
The following 2 users liked this post by zakmartin:
Atreyu'z 350 (10-03-2017), dkmura (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Brvhart1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zakmartin
BTW - I wouldn't get anywhere near one of those cheap cardboard FRAM oil filters. Those things are absolute junk.
yea I got a mobile 1 filter to replace it with
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:39 PM
zakmartin

== BEGIN RANT ==
Back in the 1990s, I had one FRAM filter literally crack open at the seam on one car, spraying oil all over my garage and had another one come apart inside, blocking up half my journals with cardboard, requiring me to remove the engine and blow everything out. I know a lot of time has gone by since then, but I've never had a problem with Purolator, Wix, Mobil 1 or Amsoil filters, so that's what I use (only Mobil 1 on my Z). Personally, I think oil filters are unnecessary, but as long as you're going to use one, it might as well at least stay together.
== END RANT ==

RE: Your leak, I've had good luck in the past nailing down leaks using UV dye kits. They work really well in situations like yours. You still have to clean the area before you add the dye though
Old 10-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Bak3rme

oven cleaner might do the trick but i think brake cleaner does it better
Old 10-04-2017, 06:07 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
oven cleaner might do the trick but i think brake cleaner does it better
Uhh, you've never used dollar store oven cleaner then. Brake cleaner is nice since it dries, but with what you can do with $20 in brake cleaner you can do with $1 of oven cleaner
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
== BEGIN RANT ==
Back in the 1990s, I had one FRAM filter literally crack open at the seam on one car, spraying oil all over my garage and had another one come apart inside, blocking up half my journals with cardboard, requiring me to remove the engine and blow everything out. I know a lot of time has gone by since then, but I've never had a problem with Purolator, Wix, Mobil 1 or Amsoil filters, so that's what I use (only Mobil 1 on my Z). Personally, I think oil filters are unnecessary, but as long as you're going to use one, it might as well at least stay together.
== END RANT ==

RE: Your leak, I've had good luck in the past nailing down leaks using UV dye kits. They work really well in situations like yours. You still have to clean the area before you add the dye though

Interesting.. I'm curious to know why you think they're unnecessary. I don't object, but would just like to know your theory.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:19 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Uhh, you've never used dollar store oven cleaner then. Brake cleaner is nice since it dries, but with what you can do with $20 in brake cleaner you can do with $1 of oven cleaner

Yeah. The stuff reeks, but it works.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:09 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Might want to use a degreaser like simple green before going for oven cleaner as it can strip paint, damage rubber, and also reacts with aluminum.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:15 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Interesting.. I'm curious to know why you think they're unnecessary. I don't object, but would just like to know your theory.
A perfect example. The Volkswagon Bug (the old, REAL bug) didn't have any oil filtration. They had change intervals, but the bottom line is that as long as you maintain your engine properly, the chances that you're going to get damage from a lack of a filter are slim to none.

Another example: Back in the 50s and 60s (and for Chevrolet, even into the 70s) a lot of cars used a lifetime porous brass filter element that would clean itself each time you did an oil change. They were there as a safety measure in case your engine suffered some type of catastrophic failure. The industry got rid of them, in part, because they worked so well, that engines weren't breaking in properly.

If you have nothing else to do and feel like reading a novel, here's LINK to a pretty good private study about different brands of oil filters I found a while back. It does a reasonable job reflecting my own observations.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Bak3rme

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
I used to use simple green or a degreaser of some sort underneath the car. It does work but I like how Brake cleaner dries up quickly and just takes off the oil in seconds. and doesn't leave a white residue (for me at least).

I wonder if OP got the issue resolved.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:08 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Can't stand the smell of brake cleaner... Simple green is my favorite.

I have been giving a pressure washer some thought lately though.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Simple Green works great too. We use a lot of it here at the P.O. VMF. But for my engines, I use this...