Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Is something wrong with my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:21 AM
awebber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is something wrong with my battery?

Alright so im not exactly sure what my problem is and I need to mess around a bit more but I figured I would ask. A little over a week ago i drove to OCMD for H20i (awesome event). Its about a 4hr drive each way. For the most part the car got there and back ok. When i got home, I parked it for a few days to let it rest. The other day I got in it to go to work and when I twisted the key, nothing happened. The engine didnt even attempt to start and none of the lights came on.

I just left it and took my girls car to work. The next day I noticed that my key phob wasnt working and the dome lights didnt turn on when i opened the door. I popped the hood and just jiggled the battery connectors. Suddenly the panic alarm started going off lol! Got the power on, key phob worked and I was able to start and drive the car with the headlights working. However, my head unit still doesnt turn on and neither does my dome lights. The battery is only like six months old and I never had any issues with it. Do you guys think there is a certain connection that isnt working with the battery? Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

The fact that you could jiggle the battery connectors says you probably need to clean and retighten them. If you can't tighten them enough so that they don't move means the connector has stretched to the point it needs to be replaced. Check the grounds as well- lots of people have had problems with them at the connection point to the chassis.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by awebber
Alright so im not exactly sure what my problem is and I need to mess around a bit more but I figured I would ask. A little over a week ago i drove to OCMD for H20i (awesome event). Its about a 4hr drive each way. For the most part the car got there and back ok. When i got home, I parked it for a few days to let it rest. The other day I got in it to go to work and when I twisted the key, nothing happened. The engine didnt even attempt to start and none of the lights came on.

I just left it and took my girls car to work. The next day I noticed that my key phob wasnt working and the dome lights didnt turn on when i opened the door. I popped the hood and just jiggled the battery connectors. Suddenly the panic alarm started going off lol! Got the power on, key phob worked and I was able to start and drive the car with the headlights working. However, my head unit still doesnt turn on and neither does my dome lights. The battery is only like six months old and I never had any issues with it. Do you guys think there is a certain connection that isnt working with the battery? Any help is appreciated!

Old 10-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Is your head unit OEM or aftermarket?