Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Piston knock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 PM
chrisz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston knock?

Alright guys , this is kind of a wild one.
so i dissambled the engine thinking I had “lifter tick” or a bent valve.
check the valves , they’re fine.
Prior to this , the car was idleing like **** and would stall when the rpms dropped abruptly.
Low oil pressure wasn’t really an issue though.
So with the heads off and everything , when I turn the engine over by hand , after a full rotation , the first piston on the right at the front of the engine , if I touch it , it’ll press down about a centimeter. And it kind sounds like the knocking/ticking sound , just in one instance.
What could that possibly be ?
I also noticed that both sides of the piston are clean of carbon pretty much.

Im thinking maybe spun bearing , but oil didn’t have any stripper glitter , but I just need more input before I assume the worst . Thanks guys.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

If the crank doesn't move and the piston does you have some problem in the bottom end.

Thats a lot of dirt where it shouldn't ever be. I hope you didn't get any in between the rings and cylinder walls.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:17 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

The problem with swapped motors is you have no idea what kind of maintenance this VQ received before you stuck in in. I agree with rancor, if the piston moves that much without any corresponding movement AT ALL from the crank, you've got badly worn rod or main bearings (or both). It's actually a good thing this VQ stopped running; nothing like ventilating the block to reinforce the point the moving surfaces are badly damaged.