Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

VDC kicking in when not supposed to

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Shiva_Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC kicking in when not supposed to

I just had to replace bank 2 sensor 1 in my Z(2003). All went smoothly, and only had to move the intake pipe and slave cylinder out of the way. Everything went smoothly, and put those 2 things back. Car was running better than ever.but here’s the thing..

i drove 30 miles after changing the A/F o2 sensor. Stopped to get gas and when I got back in the car to leave, I made a left turn to circle around the pumps and VDC kicked in. My SLIP light flashed at me and the brake started to pulse decently hard (almost like the ECU thought I was sliding out of control. I even tried turning VDC off, yet the problem persists.

now here’s some side notes because I have tried to research this problem (with no luck or definite answers)

NOTE: I have had the same tire size on my car for 4 years. When I first picked up my Z, the kid had decent tread up front and wires showing on the rear. I replaced the tires all around and never encountered this problem. I have had 245 fronts, and 275 rears since I’ve gotten the car. This problem only occurs when making a turn. I can drive straight and nothing happens but the moment I turn left/right, VDC wants to come into play, and auto brake the car.

Seems like low brake fluid, bad steering position sensor, traction sensor, and sensor, low tire pressure, wrong tire size, and a few other things could cause the car to do this. Unfortunately I still have not found any definite sounding answers.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome- have you checked for any codes? That on-board diagnostic system should have some codes in memory if you have a VDC error.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Shiva_Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did check for codes, nothing has popped up. Although, a good friend of mine who is highly experienced with 350z’s and 370z’s (CFZC) just told me to top off my brake fluid and it seemed to do the trick!! Apparently the VDC sensor is very picky.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:24 AM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome- have you checked for any codes? That on-board diagnostic system should have some codes in memory if you have a VDC error.
OBD II is designed to detect emission-related faults. The simple code readers on the market only read faults from the ECU. In order to read ABS (or SRS) faults, a more expensive scan tool that communicates with those systems is usually required.