Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Fuel pump not getting power

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 12:56 PM
rob2496

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel pump not getting power

So I know there's a few threads about fuel pumps not getting power and they're relay and what not but none of them have helped me out and I'm not sure if somebody has seen this situation before. So first let me say I'm not sure that the fuel pump even worked before because I bought this car with a blown motor and started a 2JZ swap. I installed a walbro 450 pump and I've hot wired the pump so I know the pump works. I checked the power pin on the fuel pump harness and it's not getting any power when I turn the key for the pump to prime. From here I thought the wire would be bad so I did an external relay with a switch and wired the switch straight to the battery so I know I would be getting power same for the relay. I flick the switch I get power and I checked the pins with a meter to make sure. From the switch it sends power to relay and I confirmed it does with the meter but from the relay it doesn't send power to the pump. I'm not sure why everything lines up for it to work in my eyes. On the relay I have constant power running to pin 30, pin 87 running to the pump, pin 86 to the switch, and pin 85 as a ground. I've attached a picture of the diagram that I followed. Any ideas what it might be? thanks
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump not getting power-fuel-pump-relay.gif  
Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Cavemanz33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a ground issue. Electricity won't flow if it has nowhere to go. Double check you do have your fuel pump properly grounded. If it is, you might have a break or open circuit in the wire.