Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Macheesemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC

My AC works for a minute when the motor is at idle and the ac clutch will disengage. Once I start driving the ac clutch will stay engaged and I will have AC the whole time. Does anyone know how I can fix it so I have AC all the time. I know the clutch is supposed to engage and disengage but when it disengages it blows hot air.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:28 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Pay someone you trust who has highside/lowside gauges to trouble shoot.
Or you you can pick up an AutoZone diy kit for $25. Be sure to wear eye protection and gloves when you connect to low/suction side. The system takes a lil over 2# IIRC.
gl!
Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Slightly low charge /end thread

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 06-04-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Macheesemo
My AC works for a minute when the motor is at idle and the ac clutch will disengage. Once I start driving the ac clutch will stay engaged and I will have AC the whole time. Does anyone know how I can fix it so I have AC all the time. I know the clutch is supposed to engage and disengage but when it disengages it blows hot air.
In addition to the above suggestions, there are plenty of things that can go wrong in the A/C system but I'd bet the ambient temp switch is faulty and needs replacement. Sounds like it might be consistently telling the system "HOT".

BUT, as mentioned, before you start throwing parts at it though, have the system checked... leaks, switches, pressure/refrigerant level by a qualified A/C tech.

I recall our shop used to sell those "DIY recharge kits" and on hot days we'd get people lined up to buy them.... no matter how many times I'd tell them "you're throwing money at a problem without knowing WHY the system is low, let us check it out." Nup, very few took the advice and threw away the money.... (and invariably OVERcharged the system because "if some is good, more MUST be better..." Bzzzt.)

"OK then, that'll be $54.57 please. See you next week."

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-04-2018 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Macheesemo

Originally Posted by MicVelo
In addition to the above suggestions, there are plenty of things that can go wrong in the A/C system but I'd bet the ambient temp switch is faulty and needs replacement. Sounds like it might be consistently telling the system "HOT".

BUT, as mentioned, before you start throwing parts at it though, have the system checked... leaks, switches, pressure/refrigerant level by a qualified A/C tech.

I recall our shop used to sell those "DIY recharge kits" and on hot days we'd get people lined up to buy them.... no matter how many times I'd tell them "you're throwing money at a problem without knowing WHY the system is low, let us check it out." Nup, very few took the advice and threw away the money.... (and invariably OVERcharged the system because "if some is good, more MUST be better..." Bzzzt.)

"OK then, that'll be $54.57 please. See you next week."

I was thinking it could have been the pressure sensor, but I never thought of checking the ambient air temperature sensor. Do you know how difficult it is to replace.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:25 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Macheesemo

I was thinking it could have been the pressure sensor, but I never thought of checking the ambient air temperature sensor. Do you know how difficult it is to replace.
Should take less than 2 minutes.

AFTER removing front bumper cover.

I kid.... Not sure but I think it might be accessible from underneath. It's located down low in front of the radiator, almost dead center. Little square plastic box clipped on with a cable connector.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Macheesemo

Default Update

So i ran the self test on the 350z and when it got to the fan portion of the test. Only the passenger side fan spun and only on the low side of the test. So at this point I believe i will be replacing the cooling fans and maybe the relay and see if that helps. After i swap that out i will update on what happens, after that i will probably have an AC diagnostic done. If I'm off track or anyone has any other idea, let me know.