Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Engine codes but no issues....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:08 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb Engine codes but no issues....

I have an 05 Z (de). I run a channel on YT called Z33garage where I show people how to install parts and fix their Zs.
Recently I have run into kind of a wall as I have repeating CEL codes BUT without any engine symptoms. I used 3 different apps to check the codes and they all seem to point to these. I will be ordering parts and replacing them, however I dont understand why no drivability issues are manifesting... The only thing I have not done is gotten the Z tuned, as saving the $800-ish has been difficult due to personal and family emergencies that keep popping up.

P1273 - bad intake PCV hose, bank 1 02 sensor
P0057 -o2 sensor
p0328 - Knock sensor / harness

I ordered a new Z1 knock sensor harness, and drivers side PCV hose as mine is cracked. These are the mods that I have on the Z.

Z1 Test pipes ( with extenders)
Z1 Y pipe
Z1 duals
Motordyne 5/16th spacer
Momentum Perf long tube intake.
Oil catch can
+ mostly other suspension and fixer mods

I have combed over the older threads talking about these codes but to me it seems a bit mixed as to what the solutions might be outside of throwing parts at the codes.

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:41 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Z33Garage
I have an 05 Z (de). I run a channel on YT called Z33garage where I show people how to install parts and fix their Zs.
Recently I have run into kind of a wall as I have repeating CEL codes BUT without any engine symptoms. I used 3 different apps to check the codes and they all seem to point to these. I will be ordering parts and replacing them, however I dont understand why no drivability issues are manifesting... The only thing I have not done is gotten the Z tuned, as saving the $800-ish has been difficult due to personal and family emergencies that keep popping up.

P1273 - bad intake PCV hose, bank 1 02 sensor
P0057 -o2 sensor
p0328 - Knock sensor / harness

I ordered a new Z1 knock sensor harness, and drivers side PCV hose as mine is cracked. These are the mods that I have on the Z.

Z1 Test pipes ( with extenders)
Z1 Y pipe
Z1 duals
Motordyne 5/16th spacer
Momentum Perf long tube intake.
Oil catch can
+ mostly other suspension and fixer mods

I have combed over the older threads talking about these codes but to me it seems a bit mixed as to what the solutions might be outside of throwing parts at the codes.

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, unknown source/symptom codes (or "I wasn't even aware I had a problem!" stuff) are the most vexing. Fortunately, in your case, the codes are pointing at "wear items" and such codes usually do point at "throwing parts at it" solutions. None of those parts are particularly expensive, lucky enough. Personally, I'd just replace those and re-set the codes (if they don't clear by themselves) and monitor. My $.02....
The following users liked this post:
Z33Garage (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Yeah, unknown source/symptom codes (or "I wasn't even aware I had a problem!" stuff) are the most vexing. Fortunately, in your case, the codes are pointing at "wear items" and such codes usually do point at "throwing parts at it" solutions. None of those parts are particularly expensive, lucky enough. Personally, I'd just replace those and re-set the codes (if they don't clear by themselves) and monitor. My $.02....
Yeah its like $50 bucks for the Z1 hose and sensor wire. The 02 sensor ( the rear I think) is also like $20 ish bucks on ebay.
I need to double check if these codes point to the wideband front sensor or the rear sensor. I know the fronts are $180 ish.