Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Z not saving automatic window settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 01:46 PM
meezusthegoat

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Z not saving automatic window settings

Hey guys

I’ve been having a slight problem with my drivers window in my car not saving the reset settings for my automatic windows. I’ve done the window reset several times already and with each reset I’ve done, Initially it works, but after 2 days or so the window goes back to operating like it’s unprogrammed—not dropping when I open the driver door and dropping down half way when I close the window using the auto function. I dunno what’s the problem but I’m hoping some of you may have an idea. Could there be anything mechanical causing my problem? or is there a better method to reset the windows in our cars that will be permanent?
Old 11-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Did you replace the window motor recently (or have you in the past)?
The following users liked this post:
meezusthegoat (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:13 PM
meezusthegoat

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Did you replace the window motor recently (or have you in the past)?
Nope...to my knowledge, the window motor has never been replaced and the window motor works perfectly aside from not saving my resets
Old 11-28-2018, 05:48 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

From what I've read, if the window starts doing that thing where it rolls down halfway after you use the "auto-up" function, then the motor could be on its way out. I had that same problem with my driver's side window rolling halfway down when I used the auto-up function, so I replaced the motor with OEM, did the reset, and I've had no issues since then. I'm not sure if that's your problem, but it worked for me.

I know some people have tried cleaning the internal brushes, but it seems to be a temporary fix. I had my problem around the 100K mark. If your Z has some miles on it, it seems to be a fairly common issue. I drive a roadster so I use the windows fairly frequently due to the fact I really only drive it when it's "top down" weather and I'm not too keen on the fishbowl look.

Interestingly, I started having intermittent problems with the passenger side window switch not operating that side, but the driver's side switch would still operate the passenger window. I replaced the passenger side motor and that issue has never reappeared. I'm not sure if that was a motor issue as well, but it irked me that the driver's side would roll down faster than the other after the new motor.

First world problems.