Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Stiffness in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:47 AM
Talythiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiffness in steering wheel

I've recently had trouble when turning my steering wheel to the left, one night I was driving home from a concert and needed to pull off the road for a moment but I couldnt see the 4+ inch drop off the road so I didn't take it an an angle like an idiot. Since then I've had a lot of trouble when turning to the left up until a week ago when the problem just seemingly disappeared until today when I took a tight left turn I take almost every day but this time it brought the stiffness back. I've done all the research I can and have looked at numerous forums but can't find the cause of this problem and I'm especially confused on how it went away and how it came back. If any of you could point me in the direction of the part I need to be looking at to fix/replace I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:02 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to say this but take it to someone who knows what they are looking out for, and who isn't going to rip you off. (as your post makes you seem unaware of anything mechanical)

It's obvious you've damaged one or several parts of the suspension, it could be a cheap bushing or two, or a ball joint - or an arm may have taken a serious whack and bent slightly.
There are many components that it could be.

If you want a more detailed response, you should jack the car up (safely with stands) and film the suspension whilst someone turns the wheel left and right (fully).

Old 01-28-2019, 06:08 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I'm going to speculate that there's some damage in the steering rack or possibly just in the hydraulic feed to the steering system - at one end, maybe just a broken rack bushing, at worst, the rack itself has internal damage. But, as Rob says, take it to someone competent in front end work. Could be something very simple.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:42 AM
Talythiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your replys. I know a decent bit about cars, atleast enough to fix something like this by myself I just havent had a day above 30 degrees to get it up on a lift and was hoping there was a part that Zs had trouble with in front end that would narrow my search until I got a day to get under there. I'll update it when I find the problem