Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Steering alignment u-joint

Old 07-10-2019, 03:00 PM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Steering alignment u-joint

So this dipstick here put paint marks on the upper end of the u-joint rather than the lower end. Unbeknownst to me, I didn't know that the top half can only go in one way.
So my question is, how do you orient this back in the correct way (ie so the steering wheel isn't angled off centre)?
I can see a little protrusion on the steering rack, and on the lower splined bolt, it has a circular indentation. For now I lined up the lower u-joint with the circular indentation on the splined bolt it goes over. However, that doesn't line up with the protrusion.
Note, my steering wheel is being held with bungee cords, so as not to turn the wheel and potentially break the clock spring thingy.

I know I previously had it wrong as the steering wheel was turned quite far right when I was driving straight (and yes it triggered the slip angle/TCS lights over 20mph) .

Cheers for any help!
&

Doh

Last edited by RobPhoboS; 07-10-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:20 PM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Right, I think I found out how to do it eventually, so perhaps this may help another lost soul.

You don't need to take anything off, just ensure you have access to this joint, ideally the front of the car up, secured by axle stands.
Ensure your steering wheel is straight (use a few bungee cords to wrap around various things, like the seat).
If like my car, this will mean your wheels are pointing slightly off to the left or right, don't worry.
Get under the car, take off the 2 x 12mm bolts on the u-joint, spray some wd40 or whatever you have.
I used a normal, long handle flat head screwdriver, and a lump mallet to tap it into the lower gap, and prise it open enough so that it will slide up. If it's stubborn you can tap it from the underside with a prybar/hammer, just take it easy (small little taps).
Once it's slid up enough, you should have the spanner in there so that you can rotate the lower half freely from the splines.
With a friendly helper, or by a bit of trial\error just pull or push a wheel slightly so they are straight. You can take out the screwdriver so it slots back onto the splines if you want but all you need to do is check that the wheels are straight, and just check the steering wheel is straight too.
It'll take a few attempts if you're on your own.
Once you're happy, get the lower part of the joint onto the lower spline and tighten up to spec.

The markings didn't really help, which is why I was getting thrown off before.

Note, my steering wheel was straight previously (and drove straight), this was purely down to my own error.