Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

350z Idle problem after cleaning TB and MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 10:16 PM
siyabiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Idle problem after cleaning TB and MAF sensor

Hey guys, so I cleaned my throttle body and MAF sensor today, and after returning everything back to its place the car struggled to keep working and RPM drops as soon as I start it up as if it will stall.
I tried doing the idle relearn for several time with no use. But after doing it for the fourth or fifth time the car seems to be idling better than it was but the surge and hesitation is still there. I drove it around the block and I can feel a noticeable power loss too. I used CRC products to do the job.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:25 AM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

" The throttle body for the Nissan 350Z is known for carbon buildup, and requires regular, light cleaning to maintain peak performance. After cleaning the throttle body, many owners notice a very high idle, erratic (bouncing) idle, and unpredictable power surging.

The cause is normal ECU adaptation: When the throttle body builds up carbon, the rate of airflow is slightly decreased. The vehicles computer reads this decrease in air volume, and adjusts the throttle body settings to maintain the proper engine idle speed. When the carbon is cleaned out, the ECU now registers too much air, and cannot adjust back to the original settings. While it is trying to change settings, the idle will bounce from low to high, and the car will surge forward at times.

It has been recommended to simply wipe inside the throttle body every 12,000 miles, and never to touch the flap inside. Also, the cleaning procedure may be best left to a qualified technician.

The solution can be as simple as disconnecting the battery for at least an hour, having the dealer reset the computer, or, in extreme cases, replace the throttle bodies."