Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My mechanic charged me over 700.00 for a tune up then told me my motor is bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 12:58 AM
Rani Garner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My mechanic charged me over 700.00 for a tune up then told me my motor is bad

I have a major problem and I feel I am being screwed over since I am a female.
I have 2005 350z touring with 177k miles. This car has never given me any trouble in 7 years. I took it in for a tune-up because it was running rough like the spark plugs were bad, also it smelled like fuel. This was just all of a sudden.
My mechanic was told me he did a tune-up and fixed the leaking valve covers or gaskets and I was supposed to pick it up that afternoon. When I call to see if it is ready he tells me I need a new motor. The cyl 5 is bad and can't be fixed he says. The compression test tested it at 90 lbs.
Not sure how that happened between the time he said it was just a tune-up and the phone call. The price was over 700.00 and the receipt says" needs a motor".
My question is shouldn't he have done that test BEFORE the tune-up? I am paying 700.00 plus for a tune-up on a dead motor??? Does that make sense?
My car runs just like it did before I took it in. Idles rough and runs rich. Is there any way that my car can be saved or do I need a motor?
I have taken care of this car just like I am supposed to so it isn't neglected. Also, I have smelled something burning for a few weeks now and have looked for the smell and couldn't find it. The engine light came on so I took it to auto zone before I took it to my mechanic. The codes mention a few reasons for my car misfiring and one had something to do with the drive train , I think. I told the mechanic this and assumed he would do his own diagnostic test on my car. Instead, he does a tune-up first and then a test. People take advantage of females and that pisses me off. I am going back down there to confront him if someone tells me he was wrong about charging me 700 plus for a tune-up then telling me it was a dead motor.
My gut feeling tells me that possibly something went wrong when they were working on my car that caused this problem since just earlier that day it was all good and almost ready to be picked up. He was acting strange and really short with me and normally he offers suggestions and explains. I know he did me wrong and I would like to know if I am correct, please.

Last edited by Rani Garner; 05-07-2022 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:47 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

This is what I think happened. You had a cylinder 5 misfire. He pulled the plugs to check their condition and found oil all over the #5 coil and plug. This indicates your spark plug seal is bad, which is very common on this car. The fix is to replace the valve covers. The seals are not serviceable. This is probably what the $700 charge is for. The normal diagnostic procedure for a #5 misfire wouldn't include a compression check if he found oil on the #5 coil. He did what any tech would do. The only thing I would have done differently is that I probably would have cleaned the coil and plug and swapped them with #3 to see if the misfire moved. If it did, then it's the plug or coil. If it didn't, it's the injector or a major component failure. I would have done that before replacing the valve covers. To help any further, 'm going to need to know exactly what codes you had/have and what exactly was replaced.
The following 5 users liked this post by i8acobra:
ensdrew ens (07-05-2024), Jap*vette (05-10-2022), jhc (05-07-2022), jv350z (05-07-2022), Rani Garner (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 07:54 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a second opinion. A cylinder compression check is an easy operation.

The following users liked this post:
Rani Garner (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 05:39 PM
Rani Garner

I am looking for that info to give you
Old 05-07-2022, 05:48 PM
Rani Garner

my 2005v 350z has 177k miles. Last week the check engine light came on and I took it to Autozone to get the codes. I don't know what the codes are but the paper I was given suggested it could be the power train system and says to replace variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid. oh here it is... P0300 multiple misfires failure, also reads P0305: cylinder 5 misfire
Old 05-07-2022, 05:59 PM
Rani Garner

Old 05-08-2022, 05:35 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Hmmm... He replaced the valve cover gaskets, but not the valve covers. The gaskets would have nothing to do with a misfire. I'd ask why he did that without getting permission first. Normally, if you bring a car in and ask for a diagnosis/repair of a particular problem, a tech won't repair anything not related without asking first.
Jap*vette (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 07:41 AM
Rani Garner

Question

do you think my car has seen it's last day or is this a somewhat easy fix?
Old 05-10-2022, 09:38 AM
JCat
---------------

I have had a Ford dealer tell me once that I needed a new engine. It turned out to be a bad spark plug wire.
I would get a second opinion.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:07 PM
Dr Hoon

Received 292 Likes on 232 Posts

Same here, I brought my diesel Excursion to a Ford dealer because it was low on power, they said I needed an engine rebuild and to do that they'd need to remove the body from the frame. The estimate was more than the value of the truck, back then anyways. Turned out I needed a new high pressure oil pump, about $500 total. Always get a second opinion.
JCat (05-11-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:47 AM
Rani Garner

Now my car isn't giving codes that cyl5 is bad anymore. Now it is at the 2 nd mechanics (2 weeks now) and he said it gives code 0011, something about a cam shaft sensor. Why would the other codes be gone and this one suddenly shows up? Did the last mechanic screw something up when he did a tune up?
PLease help. Your point of view is appreciated.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:40 PM
JCat
---------------

There are good mechanics and bad mechanics. That is why I suggested getting a second opinion.
Sadly, the same is true for doctors, dentists, lawyers, and humans in general. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't.

Last edited by JCat; 05-18-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Rani Garner (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:15 PM
Rani Garner

The mechanic that has it now said the only code he is getting is 0011 something about cam shaft sensor A. What do you think about that?
Old 05-19-2022, 05:16 AM
Dr Hoon

Received 292 Likes on 232 Posts

Has the new mechanic done the compression test and maybe a leak down test to confirm previous findings? Start with the basics.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:44 AM
Rani Garner

Originally Posted by Dr Hoon
Has the new mechanic done the compression test and maybe a leak down test to confirm previous findings? Start with the basics.
I wish I knew what he had done I finally got him to call me back once and he told me it would be ready the next day but that was 2 days ago so I'm just going to go get it tomorrow no matter what because it's been two weeks and that's too long with no updates on it.

I trust him and I know he can't work on cars if he is being called all day. I will ask about what you mentioned.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:46 AM
Rani Garner

Originally Posted by Dr Hoon
I wish I knew what he had done I finally got him to call me back once and he told me it would be ready the next day but that was 2 days ago so I'm just going to go get it tomorrow no matter what because it's been two weeks and that's too long with no updates on it.

I trust him and I know he can't work on cars if he is being called all day. I will ask about what you mentioned.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:49 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rani Garner
The mechanic that has it now said the only code he is getting is 0011 something about cam shaft sensor A. What do you think about that?
If it's your Camshaft sensors, order both OEM replacements and get a new Crankshaft sensor.
Rani Garner (06-19-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 05:30 AM
Rani Garner

Default 2 weeks now plus.. just want my car back.

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
If it's your Camshaft sensors, order both OEM replacements and get a new Crankshaft sensor.
. Thank you for the suggestion. I will for sure pass on the suggestion to the mechanic and he still has my car after all this time and I don't know that he's done anything to it he told me yesterday that he thought my fuel pump was going out but I don't want my fuel pump fixed because why would I put a new fuel pump on a car that isn't going to work now I'm starting to wonder if it's just another money scam I just want my car back
Old 05-21-2022, 09:20 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Rani Garner
do you think my car has seen it's last day or is this a somewhat easy fix?
Maybe this was answered already but for the love of god, please do another compression test … If you truly have 90psi on one cylinder than do not spend another dime on this engine - it is basically toast …
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
Rani Garner (06-21-2022), WYZIWYG (05-21-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 04:16 PM
Rani Garner

Default On to the next mechanic tomorrow

Originally Posted by bealljk
Maybe this was answered already but for the love of god, please do another compression test … If you truly have 90psi on one cylinder than do not spend another dime on this engine - it is basically toast …
Thank you for the advice I'm taking it to the third mechanic tomorrow and I will tell him to check the compression . when I picked it up yesterday at the second mechanic he told me that cylinder 5 was 140 lb that it was just fine , my engine was good but on the way home yesterday driving it it started smoking and making all these popping sounds underneath like something was shorting out. it died and then I barely made it to AutoZone. At AutoZone I got the code 03000 again and that's only code it gave. It was stinking like a smell I've never experienced.. There was something smoking from somewhere but it never showed it was running hot. When facing my car like when you open the hood on the right side is where it seems to be the location of the smoke , looked like underneath the motor.

Quick Reply: My mechanic charged me over 700.00 for a tune up then told me my motor is bad