Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clicking sound when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 08:39 PM
RitchieZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sound is like a pinging and when I showed my service guy he new exactly what it was the splines as I suggested after reading this thread. It goes in for service next week and for tire feathering issue.I will post results.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:53 AM
fblue

Is this noise a serious problem if left alone, or is it more a question of the sound just being annoying. I too noticed this sound on my way to work today. Does it have to be fixed? Will it turn into a bigger problem?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:12 PM
jackwhale

fblue: Its not an emergency but I sure would have it fixed at the next service. The splines are lubed for a purpose and I assume that lack of lubrication might cause more wear on the parts down the road.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Mine started doing this last week as well. I went today to the dealer to get it fixed, he didn't know what i was talking about, i went back to drive the car with him, he finally heard it, so i left my car there. They called me about 2 hours later and said they checked everything, under the car, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong so they didn't do crap. So i guess i'll go back tomorrow and tell them to relube the axle spline?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:07 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if they can't help you out try going to weston nissan. they have been great with getting all my service needs taken care off, even the feathering (replaced with s03's without even asking for new tires)

Rajiv
Old 04-28-2004, 03:34 PM
DavidDPD

I had this issue in the first 6 month/6K miles. Lose half-shalfs / axles. Dealship took 4 days to figure it out ... I think I was one of the first to complain about it.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Z33@TOR

i have this clicking noise too and i told the dealer about the axle splines but they just blame it on my stock exhaust (with cat-pipes and y-pipe) or my JIC suspension.....

any suggestions?

thanks
Old 04-29-2004, 08:20 AM
tulene

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been hearing some sounds i guess they could qualify as clicking but more of a metal on metal 'flapping' or a one-click rattle. i have an AT if that means anything. i can hear it over bumps, braking and accelerating from a stop. anyone else experience this 'clicking' under those circumstances? mine is fairly loud as i suspect all of yours are too.
any thoughts or do you think its the same thing? thanks! James
Old 05-03-2004, 10:50 AM
fblue

My sound is a squeaking sound when taking off and when shifting gears in manual mode between 1st and 2nd. My car is an automatic. Is the sound definitely a clicking, or could it be a squeaky sound?
Old 05-03-2004, 12:49 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would say if your problem is taking off with first and second gear it's a good chance it's the axle splines. That is exactly when the problem would happen for me and basically everyone who had to have their axle splines regreased. Also what people are calling clicking is probably the same as what you are calling squeaking. All I know is it was an unpleasent sound that should not be there.

Find a good service department in your area and get it checked...be sure to let them know you're pretty sure it's the axle splines otherwise they may half *** and just say duhhh, we didn't see anything.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:32 PM
fblue

I just picked my car up and I still hear it. At first they told me they didn't hear anything. Then they said they did, and that they regreased the splines as per my request. The process might've taken an hour at most because they called me right back. I'm suspicious as to whether they really did the splines or not, as this seems like too quick a turn a round to me. My receipt did say that they greased them. The service rep told me that the sound should go away once the grease works itself in. I have a feeling I'll be going back soon. Does the grease have to work itself in?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:21 AM
fblue

If you have had this problem fixed, would you mind listing the dealer that fixed it. Please let me know the dealer name, city, and state. I want to have my dealer contact their service department to see that this is indeed the solution to the sound problem. Up until now, they are acting like I don't know what I am talking about when I mention splines. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:48 PM
lotus

My dealership did not believe me. They heard the noise and put the blame on my coilover set. I told them to do the service on the axle splines and that if it did not stop the problem I would pay them for whatever time they invested.

Problem solved.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:32 AM
shimz350z

Lazy dumb question...is this covered by the warranty?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Starman

I have an 2004.5 Perf 350Z and I just started hearing the exact same thing. Clicking/grinding noise under acceleration in 1st and sometimes 2nd. Called Stevens Creek Nissan in San Jose and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Told them what you guys said about the axle splines (remove,clean, lube, replace, retorque), and they said they've seen it before and that fix works. Must be a TSB by now. Got an appointment to fix it tomorrow morning. Takes two and a half hours to do.

These forums are awesome! Found the solution to a problem only a day after I first noticed it! Thanks!

Shimz: Yep, it is covered under warranty, and you can go to any dealer to get it fixed (however, I would find one that has done it before!)
Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Starman

Scratch that last post! Took the car into the shop today and the noise I was hearing was completely normal. Just me getting used to the car I guess. Drove another 04 Z and heard the same thing. It is different than the clicking from the axle problem, it is more of a slightly grinding whir when accelerating out of 1st. Was told it was just the noisy transmission. Phew.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:22 AM
ranger5oh

Mine does this same darn thing. I HATE taking my car in to get fixed. Looks like this sounds kinda serious though, so I guess I will take er in.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:30 AM
zdriver1

same problem - it's the rear axles. dropped it off at the dealership this morning at 8am, told them what I suspected the problem to be (after reading this thread), so they removed the axles, lubed them and had it back to me at 10:30am. problem solved. no charge.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:23 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn it! The clicking noise is back. I've already had it taken care of once about 2 months ago. I've got an appointment to drop it off at the dealership tommorrow. I think I might print out a copy of this thread and others like it for reference.

Has anyone else had this problem return?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by drivesolo
Damn it! The clicking noise is back. I've already had it taken care of once about 2 months ago. I've got an appointment to drop it off at the dealership tommorrow. I think I might print out a copy of this thread and others like it for reference.

Has anyone else had this problem return?
My noise just started... did you take it to Younker or... ?

Quick Reply: Clicking sound when accelerating?