Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clicking sound when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 07:59 AM
SilverZ442

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clicking sound when accelerating?

I have noticed recently that a clicking sound is coming from somewhere when i accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:10 PM
boxsterkiller

I think I might know. If its coming from the rear axle area your axle splines aredry and need to be removed, clean , relubed and retorqued. Nissan Techline should know about this. Mine started with the rear passenger side and themn the rear drivers side. It made lkie a creaking kind of sound when on first when i take off from a stop. Check it out I heard some have there axles replaced Good Luck
Old 03-04-2004, 08:27 AM
SilverZ442

Thanks for your input, I think im gonna get it checked out this weekend thanks for all your help.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:29 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine's is making the same kind of noise. A sort of clicking/creaking when I begin rolling. It's been like that for a while now. Boxsterkiller, did you have your Z serivced to find out about this? Would you be able to tell me how I would go about contacting the Nissan Techline to inquire more about this issue? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:33 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Z just got this problem fixed. It was was the rear axles. They were removed and cleaned and extra lubed and reinstalled. The clicking sound on acceleration is gone now!

Rajiv
Old 03-06-2004, 06:55 AM
SilverZ442

Default I got mine fixed

Originally posted by drivesolo
Mine's is making the same kind of noise. A sort of clicking/creaking when I begin rolling. It's been like that for a while now. Boxsterkiller, did you have your Z serivced to find out about this? Would you be able to tell me how I would go about contacting the Nissan Techline to inquire more about this issue? Thanks.

Well mine is fixed. Thanks for all your help, but all it ended up being was a loose nut in the rear of my Z. Just tightening it made the noise go away.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Dissolved

mines going in for a sound on thursday. Maybe what you speak of. It is in low RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear
Old 03-06-2004, 01:55 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i also had the clicking in low rpms in 1st and 2nd. Maybe when my car was in they tightened some bolts as well?

Rajiv
Old 03-07-2004, 12:56 PM
boxsterkiller

The first time I took mine in they said it was an axle nut was too tight and they loosened it and retorqued it back to spec. Problem came back both axles were cleaned relubed and retorqued. No more problems. I have noticed that not all dealer know what other dealers know, just tell your service advisor and tell them to check both axle splines. If one side is dry pretty much the other side is dry( not greased up enough). It was happening went I was a stop and took off making the car rock back making torque go to the rear tires. Also when going on reverse. Do'nt get short changed and make sure they do'nt mes up your rims with impact wrench, Good Luck to all. So far no more problems for me.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:01 PM
boxsterkiller

Almost forgot Nissan Techline is tech support for the dealer techs. They should call them themselves. This is a problem with Zs. If your dealer plays dumb or blows you off go to the next one. and if they do'nt fix it after 3xs file for lemon law and get a new Z.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:36 PM
drivesolo

Thanks for the info boxsterkiller. I made an appointment to bring to Z down to the dealership on Tuesday. Hopefully they can take care of it in one day cuz I hate the idea of having to leave my Z with them for an extended period of time.

I'll see if I can mention it to them, but I think most service departments will want to come up to their own conclusions first.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:07 PM
drivesolo

Well, the dealer said that the rear left axle nut was loose so they torqued it back to spec. The problem's gone for now. Sounds like they've dealt with the problem before.

If it comes back they said to bring it back, at that point I'll bring in a copy of this thread and discuss the matter with them.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 AM
n77nxc

I am so glad I found this post. I had the same clicking sound described and took the car in to get it fixed. The dealer (Southwest Infiniti) did not know what was causing the sound. I told them when I took it in what I had read in this post and the service guy told me that most of the stuff on the internet is not true (what a bunch of bs). Well, yesterday he called me up and said that the splines needed to be repacked. Go figure.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
s9am_me

is this a quick fix? like in an hour or so? I also don't like leaving my car there for an extended period of time. I hear two clicks sometimes, in first and in reverese when i leave my garage
Old 03-17-2004, 10:25 AM
n77nxc

^^That is the sound. The fix is quick, but getting them to actually go straight to the problem might not be so quick. My car has been there for 3 days.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Blue350zCali

There are a couple of old threads about this, it is the rear axle and all they have to do it lube it and tigthen it. Tell your Service Manager that you think it is in the rear axle, most service managers should know about this because it seems to be a common problem. The only problem with this is that a very few have reported that the clicking came back after a while.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:29 AM
paingod

I just ook my Z to the dealership today with the same problem. They've been working on it all day with no result. Started just the same way as everyone else, clicking when significant weight shift, usually in first or second gear. You'd figure techline would have something on this by now.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:40 AM
liptonme

Got my Z back yesterday after two days at the dealership. He said it wasn't the axle spline. He said it was some "mounting point," they greased it up and now no more noise. I'm happy again...
Old 04-01-2004, 11:18 AM
LemanZ Sunset

I just dropped it off at the dealership for the same problem. Keep in mind that I dropped off the car for the same problem at 3500 miles and they retorqued and all was well till a couple of months ago. I took it back to the same place and they said they will fix it again. So then I call up and ask about the status and they said that they ordered a new axle and that they will have to replace the axle??? is that normal for a car w/ 9000 miles???? what is goin on here?????
Old 04-01-2004, 11:52 AM
drivesolo

Originally posted by LemanZ Sunset
I just dropped it off at the dealership for the same problem. Keep in mind that I dropped off the car for the same problem at 3500 miles and they retorqued and all was well till a couple of months ago. I took it back to the same place and they said they will fix it again. So then I call up and ask about the status and they said that they ordered a new axle and that they will have to replace the axle??? is that normal for a car w/ 9000 miles???? what is goin on here?????
I'm guessing that as a result of the axle nut being loose, there was constant movement within the backlash zone which had a hammering effect on the portion of the axle that the hub sits on.

They're not replacing it cuz it's worn out by regular usage, most likely they're replacing it because something has been damaged beyond acceptable standards. It's been about 1000 miles since they torqued my axle nut back to spec, I'll be monitoring mine closely to see if it comes back in the same time period as yours did. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound when accelerating?