Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Fixed Rattles this weekend, heres what I did:

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:29 AM
supirio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed Rattles this weekend, heres what I did:

I had a few rattles in the hatch area and on my drivers door.

1.) "Z" Plate on the strut bar was very loose, tapping it with my finger I could tell this could be a problem area.
Fix: Removed it from the car completely, and found that the 2 clips which hold it into place were very loose, the clips moved around a lot, so I placed a small piece of dynamat in each of the holes and pushed the clip back in, now they were tight as could be smashed up against the dynamat. I also dynamatted the strut bar while I had it apart.
Result: Very tight, firm as could be sounds much different when tapping it now, big difference.

2.) High pitched squeak noise, sounded like metal twanging on certain bumps and roads it was very audible.
Fix: Turned out to be the plastic rubbing the donut, I actually put dynamat in between the plastic and the tire then tightened it down as much as possible, dynamat probably overkill but while I was there took 2 seconds.
Result: I was on the same bumpy roads as before, not a twang since.

3.) Outside the car bumper vibrations with the subwoofer on in the hatch. I have a basslink, the rear bumper would have some vibrations when the bass was up high, not awful but didn't sound great.
Fix: Removed the interior pieces of the hatch area (back wall, two sides around the wheel wells etc) and put dynamat any place I could fit decent size pieces.
Result: Outside the car with the bass up sounds much better, no offensive vibration sounds, just sounds like bass.

4.) Rocks, pebbles loud as anything inside the car everytime I go down my street at the bottom of the hill.
Fix: While I was fixing the #3 I also placed dynamat all over the wheel wells, I removed the quarterpanel interior pieces and dynamatted there as well.
Result: The pebble/rock sounds are still there, but much more dampened with dynamat over the nissan sound dampening material.

5.) Driver door rattle, was right next to my ear it seemed, more towards the seatbelt, if I put pressure on the top of the door at all the rattle would go away completely.
Fix: I used a bunch of dynamat to push out the cords that attach to the door handle, there are two black cords which go from the door handle to where the latch is near the outside door handle. I placed 5 pieces of dynamat stuck together to make it real thick so that the cords were pushed away, I thought maybe it was them banging up against the door causing the rattle.
Result: Since pushing them away from the door itself, now the dynamat is wedged between so they can't hit anything, not one rattle.

I hope this helps someone if you have these rattles, the rattles I have yet to fix are:

1.) Dash rattle, I think its the temperature sensor on the passenger side of the car as well as the gauge cluster on drivers side.
2.) Rear view mirror rattle, horrible vibrations at certain speeds/rpms, I think I'll just have the dealer replace this I've read other threads about it.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:02 PM
RobzZ

Where did you purchase your Farenheit t-7001mhr ?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:57 AM
supirio

Originally posted by RobzZ
Where did you purchase your Farenheit t-7001mhr ?
I got it off of a website for around 285 shipped about 6 months ago when I bought the car, I actually had the screen longer than the car because I knew I wanted to put it in.

I actually know someone who is a farenheit dealer now though, and can probably get it for around $230+shipping, let me know if you are interested.