Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Finally...Possible"CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT" For Tire Feathering

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 03:56 PM
piser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my Z in Pa, but I moved out to Seattle... if it's not too much hassle being across the country I'm definitely in.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:31 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by ironmon75
THE PROBLEM WITH THE 2003 Z'S (and early 2004's) IS THE SUSPENSION THAT IS WHAT KEEPS EATING THE TIRES UP UNEVENLY. NOW NISSAN PUTS NISMO SUSPENSION KITS ON THE Z'S.

OF COURSE THEY DON'T WANT TO ISSUE A MASS RECALL ON THE 2003'S CAUSE IT WILL COST THEM TOO MUCH $. THEY PREFER TO DEAL WITH A FEW **** INDIVIDUALS (LIKE US) WHO WILL PUT THE EFFORT IN GOING TO TRIAL.
How do you know Nissan put NISMO on the New Z's? I thought they put Euro-Suspension.

Can you confirm this? or How did you find this out?

If they did put Nismo, that means I have Nismo suspension?

If not
Old 03-26-2004, 09:05 AM
dnguyent

Originally posted by ssk0771
How do you know Nissan put NISMO on the New Z's? I thought they put Euro-Suspension.

Can you confirm this? or How did you find this out?

If they did put Nismo, that means I have Nismo suspension?

If not
When posts comes in 'ALL CAPS', they are not true.

For example:

THE '04 Z'S CAME WITH NISMO R-TUNE CAMS, WHICH PUTS DOWN 450HP AT 6500.

or,

The '04 Z's came with the same cams as the '03 Z's, so they put out the same amount of power.

Which one do you believe?

BY THE WAY, MY STOCK Z CAME WITH 19" NISMO LMGT-4'S, WITH EURO SUSPENSION, WHICH IS BETTER THAN AMERICAN CRAP. EVERYTHING EURO IS BETTER AND CLASSIER BECAUSE EUROPEANS ARE HIP AND SMARTER, AND KNOW MORE ABOUT FAST CARS THAN US AMERICANS
Old 03-28-2004, 08:36 AM
nicepants

Please keep me in the loop. Nissan did replace my front tires but the feathering will happen again. The problem is that the springs have fatigued, lowered the car and they need to be replaced. Nissan knows about the problem but does not want to replace hundreds of thousands of sets. With new springs, then the front end would fall into alignment specifications but since my front end is at the very extremities but within specs, Nissan won't replace them. My car sits over 1/2" lower than it should but Nissan...

The dealership tried to charge for this work and with such poor support from them, I will NEVER purchase another Nissan.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:18 AM
pearl430
Banned

how about CA or should i move to east coast

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Old 03-28-2004, 09:38 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

the guy posting about Nismo suspension is just full of it.

He must be a salesman
Old 03-28-2004, 11:38 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by dnguyent
When posts comes in 'ALL CAPS', they are not true.

For example:

THE '04 Z'S CAME WITH NISMO R-TUNE CAMS, WHICH PUTS DOWN 450HP AT 6500.

or,

The '04 Z's came with the same cams as the '03 Z's, so they put out the same amount of power.

Which one do you believe?

BY THE WAY, MY STOCK Z CAME WITH 19" NISMO LMGT-4'S, WITH EURO SUSPENSION, WHICH IS BETTER THAN AMERICAN CRAP. EVERYTHING EURO IS BETTER AND CLASSIER BECAUSE EUROPEANS ARE HIP AND SMARTER, AND KNOW MORE ABOUT FAST CARS THAN US AMERICANS
Old 03-28-2004, 11:49 PM
s9am_me

wow.. keep us updated,.. i wanna see how this turns out

there have been reports that the S-tune suspension supposedly fixed the priblem.. but i doubt nissan is putting them on stock 04's
Old 03-29-2004, 07:13 AM
328skidpad

Default Count me in

I have gone to the dealership 3 times in the past year....
thanks
bkaul@natcomgrp.com
Old 03-29-2004, 04:07 PM
tkalligo

Well, they gave me new front tires today. The smoothness of the ride is incredible. It feels like it did when I bought it.... amazing what new tires will do.

While talking to the service manager he continued to avoid using the term "feathering". He did however offer to replace the tires without me asking them to - the same RE040. I said that was great but what is going to keep these from wearing the same as the others. They used the allignment settings from the newest TSB 03006b.... He said that since they are new tires and they did the allignment they don't have an existing wear pattern on the tire, so the problem should not occur again. Before when they rotated the tires they were already unevenly worn and the tires would continue to wear unevenly because once you have a wear pattern in a tire you can't change it. He basically said that the 03's were shipped with the incorrect alignment settings and the front wheels were toed-in to cause that wear pattern.

It is most likely just another "customer service" explaination to avoid putting blame on Nissan.... I'm happy that they replaced the tires because the car drives great once again.... but we'll see how long they last.

I explained that I wanted an explanation on the service order that states they replaced the tires due to "feathering", but as I said before he just kept avoiding that term. The explanation was "... customer complaining about a humming noise from front of car. Problem previously reported.... Cause: 03 ..." That's it.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:00 AM
misel00

Everyone..Just a quick update on everything..first off..there is no fixx as of yet on the 03/04 suspension problem...Nissan may know what the problem is but are jerking around for financial reasons.. The Nismo suspension is nonsense!

okay..so we'll take them to court! Let ;s see, I'm even willing to take lead....I'm so adamit about this cause!..

Update on class action.. everything is still proceding, but no final word..i was told there was time still being put into the technical issues with the car and how they relate to the case... Experts(not sure what that means or who they are that were called in) are looking into the mechanical data on this Z problem...so that's all I have as of now!...I wish I had more, but i'm waiting here chomping at the bit, to get one going, but it's up to the law frim...So i will post more ASAP when i hear of more!! keep Pm me if your in, so i can contact you later!! ESP NJ/PA/DE>>>> ONE THING!!! TRY AND MAKE SURE IF YOU GO IN FOR SERVICE THAT THEY STATE" FOUND TIRE FEATERING ON CAR" they will try to not put that on there, but make them!, after a few choice words to my service manager , He stated that "TECHNICIAN INFORMED OWNER OF TIRE FEATHETERING PROBEM FOUND" onmy repair invoice! This is key to our case!....It's hard for nissan to dispute dozens of there delears putting this down on paper! I know it won't be easy but the more of us that can get it , will help us soooo much! Talk to everyone soon!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:54 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't have it in writing, but I do have a set of badly feathered front tires if you need them for "evidence"...

They came off the car at 7500 miles, too badly feathered to even flip over to the other side.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:15 AM
dimitri

Im in but dont have that issue yet ,but anything to help fellow 350z brothers.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:30 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, there is an idea...

We gather all the feathered tires into trucks and deliver them to the front door of Nissan USA in a major media event!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:18 AM
mattvols

I also have the feathering problem. My dealer did give me new front tires, but the same thing is happening again. I am in Tennessee.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:17 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Originally posted by slaponte
Hey, there is an idea...

We gather all the feathered tires into trucks and deliver them to the front door of Nissan USA in a major media event!
That's actually a very good idea. I know someone at a news station but that's here in New Mexico.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Losing Grip

if you win the lawsuit what will happen to 03' early 04' Z owners nationwide?

will nissan recall all Z's with the F'ed up suspension to have them replaced or just the people sueing. i had my front tires replaced with no hassle by the dealer. they said it was the tires and NOT the suspension. either way, if you win, my car is back at the deal for a suspension over haul!

john
Old 03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
LemanZ Sunset

i just had my front tires replaced by nna. how much longer will it take for me to experiance the same problems again? Will they then turn me down b/c i have passed the 12,500 mile mark. I have had my tires replaced at 9,000 miles and now i am at 9700.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:22 PM
tkalligo

I just had mine replace this week and I have 14500 on mine.

Originally posted by LemanZ Sunset
i just had my front tires replaced by nna. how much longer will it take for me to experiance the same problems again? Will they then turn me down b/c i have passed the 12,500 mile mark. I have had my tires replaced at 9,000 miles and now i am at 9700.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 AM
supirio

Bucks County, PA here.. 3 people with feathering..

My friend, my cousin, and I all have the feathering issue, all in bucks county, PA. We will probably be interested once we get to the 3rd times a charm.

My friend has had his rotated 1x, and replaced 1x..

I have had them rotated 1x..

My cousin put up with the noise for so long that hes at 10k miles, and the roar is unbelievable hes hoping they will just replace his tires without rotating first, because they are that bad, but I'll know what his story is later this week.

Good luck we'll be watching the thread to see how its going.

Quick Reply: Finally...Possible"CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT" For Tire Feathering