Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wierd Alignment Settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:00 PM
markt71Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Alignment Settings

Just had my alignment set again by dealership after they replaced my front tires for feathering. I had my alignment last checked less than 1500 miles ago after pull to right TSB. Either the machines at the two different dealerships are way off from each other or something is major league wrong with the suspension on this car OR the first alignment was not done properly. Here are just the toe settings.

Front Left First Alignment -------- Second Alignment
Actual: 0.05 .............................. Actual: 0.02
Before: -0.08 ..............................Before: 0.12

Front Right First Alignment --------Second Alignment
Actual: 0.04 ................................. Actual: 0.02
Before: -0.08 ................................Before: 0.28

.05 to .12 on the left and .04 to .28 on the right......
I can't believe that the toe settings would change that much in just 1500 easily driven miles.....no potholes, etc.

This is just a sample of the difference in the settings. There is no consistency on any of the numbers between the two alignments. BTW, I can't believe how the noise from the feathering kinda creeps up on ya. The car is so quiet now coming to a stop. Don't know how long it will last. I only had 4680 miles on mine.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:26 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I'd believe it. It seems that too many of the dealerships just can't align our cars properly.

I know several people who've had to go to an independent shop to get it fixed.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
boxsterkiller

I also noticed that on the alignment printout not only for the front , but he rears too. The settings were way off. I told my advisor off the rear alignment and he said that the "campaign" only was for the front. i told him is was a preexisting problem(happened in Japan). He was cool and for once did'nt have to raise hell to get something done and was able to do the rear alignment. I have 13K mi. and I'm due for rear tires soon (not too many burn outs) I wonder if my rear tires have cupping. Am I getting short changed, should I raise hell and have them get me two rear tires or are they going to get technical because I am over 12k? I have had alignments and compared numbers and also noticed that the setting change big time.And ya there is a major league problem with the Z suspension. Thanks and good luck.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:51 PM
markt71Z

What is the current toe setting supposed to be for the front tires? Mine was set to .02. Is this the current setting recommended by Nissan?
Old 03-28-2004, 07:26 AM
OZ-Z

Default Alignment specs

Alignment specs are an average for that brand of car. If you want your car to be on the money find a Geniuine Race tuning shop that can run your car over a scuff sensor to determine actual toe ior tire scuff in relation to your cars setup.
It must not be the tires as they just replaced my fronts with same March 25th 04????? Dealer cliams only alignment problem???