Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Update on interior rattle/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 10:32 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on interior rattle/vibration

One known source of vibration is of course the passenger sun visor (mirror), which the dealer is replacing (I brought in the car today but they ordered the wrong visor!)

But the tricky sound was coming from the rear strut area and was very noticeable at high RPMs, between 5 and 6 thousand. It is a really reedy vibrating sound that can be quite loud at times. Is anyone else getting this?

Anyway, the dealer didn't help with that either, so I decided to try to fix it myself. To diagnose it, I first removed all the plastic shrouding from the rear strut brace: the pieces at the top on either side of the "Z" panel pop off, then the large pieces at the front and rear pop off, and finally the "Z" piece itself pops off. I tried driving like this and the sound was gone! Then I put back the large front and rear pieces, and the sound was still gone.

My guess is that it's caused by the "Z" logo piece, since that's hard plastic that would vibrate like that and the other pieces are quite soft. Before putting back the hard piece, I put black electrical tape at the contact areas. I haven't tried this yet to get a final report on the fix, but I'll let you know. The good news is I have it isolated to the plastic pieces on the top of the strut brace, which is more than the mechanic who rode with me was able to do.

It's amazing how much more enjoyable it is to drive without that noise -- it feels like the engine likes to rev more, even though I knew the sound was not engine related; a strange psycholigical effect.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem. I'll add to this thread when I have more results.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:47 PM
z461

I believe it is that Z logo moving around.. When we were doing stereo testing after my system was installed we noticed at the stereo shop that that area was vibrating a lot. So we insulated it... I have no sound, at high RPM's, or high volumes.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:16 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Smile Fixed it!

I put some foam padding (for a seat cushion) under the "Z" logo panel before popping it into place. This holds it in one place and also cushions it. I put all the panels back into place and then went out for a drive. The vibration is gone! Woo-hoo!

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem. You'd think the mechanic at the dealership would have figured this out, but if you want something done right you've gotta do it yourself!
Old 09-28-2002, 03:25 PM
tbcz

I have a definite buzz coming from my door panels when the stereo is turned up...anyone come across this yet? I haven't investigated it yet, but am going to at some point.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:07 PM
azmo

I too have that same buzz coming from either the door panel or from the compartment in which the sub woofer is located. The constant sound is apparent only when the stereo is on. Im pretty sure its from the subwoofer or vibartion causing the subwoorer's compartment to vibrate.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:33 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Fixed it!

Originally posted by z350z
I put some foam padding (for a seat cushion) under the "Z" logo panel before popping it into place. This holds it in one place and also cushions it. I put all the panels back into place and then went out for a drive. The vibration is gone! Woo-hoo!

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem. You'd think the mechanic at the dealership would have figured this out, but if you want something done right you've gotta do it yourself!
Thanks for the info, I had noticed it for a couple of days, but it is now fixed. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:41 PM
roberto350z

no rattles here at 230 miles. Unless you count the cheap speakers when I hit "24" on the volume
Old 09-29-2002, 02:52 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
no rattles here at 230 miles. Unless you count the cheap speakers when I hit "24" on the volume
I think it is something that comes in over time, I had no rattle until about 2 days ago and I currently have had the car 4 weeks and 1500 miles.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:40 PM
shoalhaven

Question Rattle/Vibration

Does the Z logo panel pull right off?
Old 09-29-2002, 06:13 PM
westpak
SFZCC

It is held in place to the strut bar by two rubber pins which if you pull on it it will come up, but first you have to take the two small pieces on each side on top, then losen the pieces on either side of the logo.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:36 PM
SunsetZ

I also have a strong buzzing noise from the area of the passenger door speaker. I have not taken the door panel off yet to investigate. Thanks for the help on the strut noise, mine has a little of that also, but it is pretty minor compared to the door buzz with the stereo on.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:22 PM
glenng6

Default Vibrating Sound

I thought I had a vibration sound coming from the strut brace and even drove with another person to try to isolate the area causing the problem. We both thought it was the strut brace, but I decided to look elsewhere before tearing my Z apart. It turned out the noise was caused by the spare tire not being screwed down tightly. I also noticed the jack was not very tight and tightened that as well. Check the easy things before going nuts. And there are other things in the spare tire area that can make noise

Glenn
Old 12-16-2002, 09:12 AM
aggie300zx

Thanks for the info z350z!

What I find funny is that when my dealership ordered a replacement passenger visor for the buzz/noise that was occurring, they ordered the wrong one as well. Since then they have replaced it with the correct visor, although I still get the rattle from time to time. I think they (service dept), just expect me to go away about the issue, but little do they know I have no problems being a pest about this.

Enjoy!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:53 AM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

I was hearing a rattle from the back and found that the plastic bolt securing my spare tire was loose. I tightened it and the rattle is gone.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:46 PM
SunsetZ

The majority of owners are having no problems. If you have nothing but bad things to say about the Z, then why are you on this site. Why don't you go to MyG35C.com. Take care
Old 12-16-2002, 04:04 PM
roberto350z

just as many people are gonna have rattles in the G35 dood. The point is that its a first year...not that its a crappy car
Old 12-16-2002, 05:54 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Eyeball,

I am sorry to see that you are so bored with your car that you have to come here and look for issues to spout off about to make you feel better about your choice. On a different note, I hope you have no vibration related issues in your car. In general, though, these issues are a time issue. If the the G35C is going to have these issues, it will be some time until a large number of G35C owners have 4000+ miles on their cars.

z350z,

Thanks for the info. I have heard a rattle from that area once or twice, but nothing continuous now. I do have the visor rattle. But now I am getting a weird rattle/vibration from the dash. The shifter is also exhibiting the issue that droidekaus brought up a while back.

Note: I now have 4500 miles on my car

JD