Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motors!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:12 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm at 18K and my driver's door just started doing it. Probably have to stop by the dealer and get a motor on order. Gee, don't I sound excited too???

Well, at least it's summer and I have to have the windows up right now!!! 107 yesterday

Watch out guys/girls: I came out from the movies and found my window rolled down 3-4 inches by itself. Also, if it's not rolling all the way back up when you close the door and lock the car, all you need to do is push the window down with your palm and you can reach your hand inside.

Bad, bad, bad...

I have had to resort to rolling the window up from the passanger side and then locking the car just to be sure it was closed correctly. This, however, is getting old...
Old 06-17-2004, 08:25 PM
hulanp67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers window

I have 20k on my car and the drivers side window does absolutly nothing. It is stuck in the up position and I am afraid that it will damage the window seal when I open and close the door. Looks like I get to waste more time at the dealership trying to get a warrenty repair.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:42 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started experiencing this problem with my passenger side window. This really sucks because I'm only at 13K miles. I also noticed that my driver side window doeesn't roll down a bit when I open the door. I guess time to take it to the dealership.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

same here, 13.5k miles, driver-side window does not go down. It started Friday, it wouldn't go up all the day, then all of a sudden it decided to work. Then Saturday, it wouldn't go down, then it decided to work. Now it doesn't work again, i'm not touching it until i get it to the dealer.

Is there a TSB out for this? and do all Nissan dealers give out loaners?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:08 PM
ironmon75

i have 15k on my Z and 5 window motors have been replaced. now the driver side arm rest is coming apart.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:14 PM
ranger5oh

Mine is going back in on tuesday for the SECOND time to get the drivers motor replaced.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:56 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long did each motor last?
My dealer tells me that they are on back order.

Originally posted by ranger5oh
Mine is going back in on tuesday for the SECOND time to get the drivers motor replaced.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:35 AM
boxsterkiller

I just got my drivers side motor replaced same symptoms as some of you out there. I use the auto window up feature and window goes up and back down about 3-4 inches. Anyways knew that the door panel had to be removed( for about the 6th time) so I inspected the doors carefully because of past problems with the dealer monkeys breaking clips marring plastic and leaving control panel/ finisher all crooked. I did notice some of those pick prying tool thingy indentations on the panel and the tweeter little 45 degree triangle black plastic cover clips didn't fully snapped in. My adviser said I could come back for that but they always mess something up, this pisses me off greatly. They also sated that they could not duplicate the clunking sound from the front end that happens when I turn the steering wheel when backing up. I am taking it back for that and sticking around for a test driver. The control panel was not flush to door panel so I decided to just get a screwdriver and carefully align it myself and save the head ache of the dealer trying to fix it and scratching it again.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
nmilsaps

Originally posted by boxsterkiller
and save the head ache of the dealer trying to fix it and scratching it again.
Awww man, I feel for ya. I had my window motor replaced around 11K, when I went to take it in, I had them replace the shift **** because the paint had scratched off of the top and around the base. I figured why not, since it's covered under warranty and my car will be there anyways. So when I got it back, the shift **** was on but it was facing towards the steering wheel and it had a nick from a wrench or something in the leather. So they said they could fix it the next day (after having it there all day). I said forget it, wait till next time. Faukers.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:22 PM
vaporlocked350z

I started having the same problems with my drivers window. 1st got stuck in up position, then down, then at all different spots. I was able to get mine to work after a little fanageling. If it is stuck up or down: open and close the door with your finger on the window button advancing it up or down (dont do the auto up/down). If that doesn't work when you are in the car with the door closed give a decent tap on the door panel a couple inches underneath the door handle. I ended up douching the window w/ WD-40 and assisted the window for about 20 minutes and it has been fine since. That is the 1st time I noticed the grease streaks some other people have mentioned. If I had to guess I'd say something is pinching the window and it is tricking out the motor vs the motor sticking or just crapping the bed. All this great fun started for me in the 13,000 neighborhood.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:03 PM
MikeW

Today my driver's side window stuck in the up position. What a pain! Is this under warranty?- 2003 with 23K?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:16 PM
uro279

my regulator (causes window to drop when opened) stopped working at 17k. Getting replaced.

both window have streaked and fixed.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:43 AM
jplvr

Thanks for this thread guys. At least I'll have a little ammo when I go to get my driver's side door motor replaced soon. 38k miles.

Edit: My auto up does not work and I've had the window stick "up" once. Somehow it went down today to my surprise although auto up was still broken.

Last edited by jplvr; 07-06-2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:50 PM
03Brickyard

Man... my window does not go up!!! I do not have a garage.... I need to get it back up!!! what do I do??
Old 07-07-2004, 05:47 AM
nmilsaps

Originally posted by 03Brickyard
Man... my window does not go up!!! I do not have a garage.... I need to get it back up!!! what do I do??
hit it with your hand right below the window control buttons. sometimes a love tap would get my window unstuck.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 AM
jplvr

Originally posted by nmilsaps
hit it with your hand right below the window control buttons. sometimes a love tap would get my window unstuck.
Yep, this will work. I had the same problem when I was out of town in Mobile this weekend. Damn window auto-rolled down when I shut the door to go to lunch and I couldn't get it back up.

Luckily it was Friday and drove it to the local Nissan dealer. Service guy used this technique. I was a little skeptical at first and then he told me that they've got one in town that has a new motor on order. This wasn't his first time.

BTW, the service guy seemed skeptical himself that the window "auto-rolled down" when I shut the door, but the same thing happened the next day. Shut the door and watched the window roll down by itself.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Beaker02

@ 30K and mine have been replaced twice under warenty. Drivers side is doing it again on occation.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Zenvy

Originally posted by koolzero
Anyone notice a problem with the auto window drop down? Does your driver side not drop down as far as the passanger? Mine barely clears it
yup...brought it to the dealership and they said something about a limiter switch reset (??). so...they reset the drop down setting and the window goes down a good inch or so...

my window failed a week ago but apparently it works for now.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:15 AM
AceJ587

They better have fixed this problem in the 04.5's,...Im not looking forward to dealing with this BULLSHlT.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Zenvy

Originally posted by AceJ587
They better have fixed this problem in the 04.5's,...Im not looking forward to dealing with this BULLSHlT.
...chances are you're gonna be mad about your problems. I hope you have patience...because i used to before this car.

Last edited by Zenvy; 07-22-2004 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Window Motors!