Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan is sending out a tech?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 02:33 PM
HanZolo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan is sending out a tech?

I've had my Z a few days over a month and it was in the shop today for what might have been the 3rd tranny. I just got a call from the service writer saying that they haven't fixed it yet, but Nissan is sending out a tech to look at the car. He said I can pick up the car tonight, but I have to bring it back Monday.

Anyone know what this is all about? My co-worker suggested they are trying to prove that I broke it somehow...that better not be true.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:07 PM
overZealous

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nissan is sending out a tech?

Originally posted by HanZolo
I've had my Z a few days over a month and it was in the shop today for what might have been the 3rd tranny. I just got a call from the service writer saying that they haven't fixed it yet, but Nissan is sending out a tech to look at the car. He said I can pick up the car tonight, but I have to bring it back Monday.

Anyone know what this is all about? My co-worker suggested they are trying to prove that I broke it somehow...that better not be true.
More likely Nissan does not want to authorize another tranny so they are sending a tech to make sure it is broken. According to Nissan the new transmission has no issues but my experience has been that the new double cone synchros didn't help. Still grinds in second and third. They will try to blame it on you though. That was the line taken by Nissan in my hearing. The transmissions are designed to be "clunky" and they are failing because users don't know how to push in a clutch pedal. Don't worry about it though. If the Tech confirms that it is broken then you will get a new one under warranty.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:48 PM
heckyl

3rd tranny in less than a couple of months?

Sounds like a clear-cut-lemon-law to me...
Old 05-07-2004, 10:01 AM
HanZolo

It turns out that I was having a hard time shifting because the 2nd tranny wasn't installed properly. One tech worked on it the entire day adjusting the shifter assembly and it now shifts pretty damn smooth and light. It's actually fun to drive because I can get into freakin gear now!

So I just have one tranny problem left, which is the loud bearing noise when the clutch is out. You can hear the noise here:
save-as please

Lemon Law eh? Maybe i'll pursue that if they can't fix the noise, thanks.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:15 AM
MonkeyBoy

Looks like the Falcon is having problems my friend ... As for the noise, that is most likely the Throwout Bearing which is usually that noisy when the clutch is engaged. I have yet to hear a Z without this noise, which sucks in my opinion. But hey, as long as it works, no problem! I have noticed that the 008 revision is not as loud as the 006 was though.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:59 AM
HanZolo

Thanks for your input, now where is R2D2 with the anti-lemon gun.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:43 PM
overZealous

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It turns out that I was having a hard time shifting because the 2nd tranny wasn't installed properly. One tech worked on it the entire day adjusting the shifter assembly and it now shifts pretty damn smooth and light. It's actually fun to drive because I can get into freakin gear now!

So I just have one tranny problem left, which is the loud bearing noise when the clutch is out. You can hear the noise here:
save-as please

Lemon Law eh? Maybe i'll pursue that if they can't fix the noise, thanks.
That ain't no throwout bearing. That is the tranny self destructing. When the clutch is out in neutral, or any gear, the bearing is not even spinning or making contact with the pressure plate. Mine sounds the same way with the 008 revision. You can also hear all of the slop in the tranny as you let the clutch out in your video. Mine does that too.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:56 PM
boma

hey my Z makes that exact same sound! It makes that sound when i'm not pushing down on the clutch.

if they fix that under warranty how long does it take?
Old 05-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Kari

mine too! i heard the sound from HanZolo's video and that is EXACTLY what it sounds like, let me know if anyone gets thiers replaced due to that specific noise.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:49 AM
cpoe52

Default Re: Nissan is sending out a tech?

Hey HanZolo:

Who did you buy your Z from and who installed your new tranny?

I bought my Z at Rancho Santa Margarita Superior Nissan. I have had pretty good luck with their service department. I have also used Power (Irvine) Nissan's Service Department a couple of times. Both of these dealers Sales Departments suck!
Irvine Nissan wouldn't let me test drive a Z unless I started a Purchase Agreement. Tustin Nissan wouldn't either.

Hang in there. Hopefully the third time will be a charm!

Last edited by cpoe52; 05-09-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:40 AM
HanZolo

cpoe52, Hi this is Han again, i used to use the name Z33frog. I bought mine at RSM Nissan too, and their service department told me my tranny was fine. A couple days later a dealer up in LA listened to it and confirmed that it was a bad one.

It's funny that I avoided Power Nissan@Irvine for a while thinking they sucked too...but they ended up fixing the binding shifter. It's pretty hit-and-miss with these dealers.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:28 AM
HanZolo

I've asked the service manager to send the Nissan tech out anyway to listen to the whine and bearing noise. It would be good to get a "final" answer from an engineer if it's a normal noise or not. If he says it's normal, I promise to stop talking about it