Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Z Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 12:28 PM
samlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by NissanNB
well i am new to the board and i guess my opinion wont matter much but what the hell here is my .02

its a sports car, if u bought a 30k sports car and are concerned about "road noise" and "rattles" then i dont think this is the car for you. if u wanted a nice, solid, noise free daily driver...the Z or any sports car for that matter just doesnt seems like a smart choice

interior quality on any sub 50k sports car seems to always be the one place that designers mess up on. for example the chevrolet corvette...

i dont know anout you but these were things i was expecting to see happen. rattles and road noise just dont bother me, as long as the car handles well and acclerates great then i am happy. like i said i just expect sports cars to focus on preformace and if the have a sub-par interior then so what...

as long as it handles and drives like a 30k sports car then i am happy

now the tranny and feathering of the tires is a diffrent story...i would not expect these to be problems.
I hear what you're saying, but please do this next time you take the car in (and you will): pay attention to how quiet the interior is of the rental Neon (or Ford Focus, my loaner for today because my car is in the shop) and note how nice the stereo sounds in comparison. Then ask youself, is the engine and the design of the Z worth Nissan skipping the QA process. I'm not demanding MBZ SL-type of quality, but I am on my 3rd rattling rearview mirror.

-s
Old 06-16-2004, 02:20 AM
bascelik

Ditto. 3 parts crazy glue, 1 part car. My wife says that, after seeing a magazine add with that slogan, and featuring a Z. She would've traded it back loooong time ago. I'm more stubborn, hopefully not to my detriment.

To those saying THIS is what one should get in sub-50K sports car, have you hit a time-warp and skipped earlier part of this decade? Nowadays, cars that cost in the 30Ks provide both comfort and power. They excell in one thing or another: Acura TL with space and comfort; GTO with raw power and colorful interiors; S2000 with its smooth shifter, excellent clutch pedal, and great steering; Chrysler 300C with refined interior (and power to boot); Dodge Magnum with space, utility (and power to boot). Z does not excell anywhere: notchy shifter, engine with no bite, rattles and creaks. If it had more power, I could forgive notchy shifting. If it had better shifter, I could forgive lack of power. If it had luxuries and comfort, I could live with lack of power and notchy shifter. Gimme something, Nissan!
Old 07-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Mark Va Beach

The old adage remains true..."You get what you pay for."
Old 07-15-2004, 09:16 PM
brisk

hey, are all the problems you guys are experiencing..more common with the 03's or the 04's? Also, would i be better off gettin a g35coupe because i don't hear a lot of problems with that car? (correct me if i am wrong...) thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 12:53 AM
ml2316

Originally posted by NissanNB
well i am new to the board and i guess my opinion wont matter much but what the hell here is my .02

its a sports car, if u bought a 30k sports car and are concerned about "road noise" and "rattles" then i dont think this is the car for you. if u wanted a nice, solid, noise free daily driver...the Z or any sports car for that matter just doesnt seems like a smart choice

interior quality on any sub 50k sports car seems to always be the one place that designers mess up on. for example the chevrolet corvette...

i dont know anout you but these were things i was expecting to see happen. rattles and road noise just dont bother me, as long as the car handles well and acclerates great then i am happy. like i said i just expect sports cars to focus on preformace and if the have a sub-par interior then so what...

as long as it handles and drives like a 30k sports car then i am happy

now the tranny and feathering of the tires is a diffrent story...i would not expect these to be problems.
i think the guys with tons of problems and anyone with feathering has a legit beef. unacceptable for a 30k car, regardless of performance.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:41 AM
supergrade

Got tired of waiting weeks for parts. Got rid of my Z 2 days ago and haven't been happier! Got sick of the little crap that needed fixing!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:43 PM
A4to350Z

Gotta say that I have a lot of sympathy for everyone with a ton of problems with their Z. I don't think that you should have to deal with kind of crap in a 30K car. I got rid of my 2002 A4 for the same reason. Up to this point I have had a couple minor issues with my Z (knock on wood) but overall I like the looks and love the drive. yeah it could be quieter (is that a word?) but its really not that much louder than my 02 A4 witht the sports package.

if you don't mind taking the hit I would dump the car and try something else. it asbolutely stinks to drive a car that you hate everyday. Cut you losses and pick up a new sled. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Dizturbed

It's nice to be able to vent Z frustrations! My Z has been gone for a few weeks now and I do not miss it one bit. I suffered from the usual 03 problems. Way too much shop time in one year.

No joke about the crap value that car holds. What a piece. Still, the lost money is acceptable to be out of the car. I don't mean to offend any Z owners, but when I see one on the road, sometimes I think "poor bastard". Then I remind myself I was the poor bastard.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:26 PM
ml2316

well tracks have the worst resale because since you can buy a new base for 25500 and enth for 27000, nobody's gonna pay more than 27 or 28k for a used track.

i would imagine you can sell a used enth for pretty close to what you bought it for as i haven't seen any used ones for under 26k. z was recently rated by kbb as having best resale among all sports cars.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Zenvy

Originally posted by Dizturbed
It's nice to be able to vent Z frustrations! My Z has been gone for a few weeks now and I do not miss it one bit. I suffered from the usual 03 problems. Way too much shop time in one year.

No joke about the crap value that car holds. What a piece. Still, the lost money is acceptable to be out of the car. I don't mean to offend any Z owners, but when I see one on the road, sometimes I think "poor bastard". Then I remind myself I was the poor bastard.
...i'm a poor bastard.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 PM
MySunset350Z

the z is a pile. its a pretty pile, but a pile never the less.

whats this about you get what you pay for? i havent gotten my 35k worth of car. the way im looking at it, nissan owes me a good 15k. 20k for the 350z and ill be able to deal with all the crap that goes wrong with this car. but it isnt worth the money @ 35k.

i talked my dad out of getting a murano in case its quality was as nappy as the z's. he ended up buying the lexus rx330. all i have to say about that car is that the no namer STOCK sound system blows the 350z bose system out of the water. so sad.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Ace96

Not sure what the you all are doing. But I have previously had 2 Nissans and found that both were excellent in quality and reliability. Both went 100,000 before any major (as in needed to go to dealership to fix) problems.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Zenvy

Originally posted by Ace96
Not sure what the you all are doing. But I have previously had 2 Nissans and found that both were excellent in quality and reliability. Both went 100,000 before any major (as in needed to go to dealership to fix) problems.
ummm...do you have a Z?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:53 PM
lopchild

Default A bimmer???!?!?!?! for reliability!?

hahhahahaha. a BEEMER for reliability?! Those cars suck asstronaut. I HATE bmw. I had a 94 750i(? - last year of 750), and a 97 735i. Those cars blow. You have to get rid of them at like 25000 miles, unless you are either a journeyman mechanic, and love being underneath the hood; or are gay, and love the guys at the dealer mechanics.

EVERYTHING IN the 735I broke. trip computer, windows(all except passenger window) - not all at once, but one at a time! Its like they told each other to go on strike, one went - then soon after the other two. The a/c system vacuum system broke partially (a leak, i think). it made this embarrasssingly loud slapping noise as it tried to engage. Dash cracked, tranny support broke (piece is rubber and metal fused together). Made another loud banging/slapping noise in floor cuz of this. power steering leaked so bad that had to refill it weekly. front grille broke(pieces in between actual grille) they got sun damaged or brittle or something.... started disintegrating from pebbles/road debris hitting it.

All their electrical components are like seperate. they are like individual systems that are not made for each other or something. the z components are all integrated, Bmw is not well connected in the dash... hard to explain.

The 750 was also problematic. Fast as hell (v-12), but always something up with that car. engine light, windows also quit working. Only 2 though!!

Only thing I can say about them, is they never left me stranded. Engine always ran, but then again, shouldn't it? I can't say any car I had left me stranded for that matter. German cars suck. Bunch of my friends have mercedes. Always in the shop.

AUDI is great car though.....

Another thing is that those motors can go forever. Buddy of mine has 272,000 on his 95 325. ex girlfriends father got 329,000 on a 733i. My friend with 325 had to replace just about everything on/in the car beside motor though.... tranny, clutch, seats, WINDOWS, windshield leaked, etc...

Originally posted by 91na
My new Mach1 has some squeaks here and there too. Brakes and audio are pretty good though.

Why do all new cars have SUCKY PAINT now though!? My paint is aweful, much like the Z's.

Auto makers sure are going down hill these days. I guess it's time to buy a bimmer.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:16 PM
halflife78

2004 350Z here and not one single problem yet. I don't consider the road noise and the bumpy ride a problem because the suspension is alot stiffer than most cars for handling. My car before this one had 18's on it and the road noise was worse. When I bought it I told my wife it would be bumpy and have road noise and she was fine with it she just wanted to "zip zip" around as she calls it.

Only thing I worry about is the tire feathering but I check the tires once a week and no feathering yet.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:49 PM
dbpoet

I guess I just got lucky. I've got 16K on my 03 Touring and I haven't had to take it to the dealer for anything. Mine runs like a top.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:34 AM
lopchild

Default Oh yeah....

And my z? 2003 touring. A couple rattles and such, but it is a SPORTS CAR. Sounds like you want: Lexus quiet, power of a Ferrari, ride like a lincoln town car, service like a race car pit team, and the durablility of a Sherman Tank.... all for under 35K.

Let me know when you find it, K? Buy me one too.

I have had my z since June of '03. Almost 10K miles. Been in for service twice(for little stupid things). Cant even remember what for, nothing major...

Great car, great ride, fun to drive, fun to mod, sound system does suck though.

As for rattle and sound system?

Dynomatted entire car, and replaced sound system. Problem solved.

This car ROCKS!!!!!!! (so far). I say cheers to Nissan!

Blow me naysayers.....
Attached Thumbnails My Z Sucks!-dw_c0377.jpg  
Old 08-18-2004, 01:47 PM
ml2316

rattles, sound system, grease streaks, etc are no big deal imo, esp for a first year car. however, the feathering is probably the biggest problem of any car in the Z's class.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:59 PM
MA4

I've had all of the problems mentioned and had all of them fixed.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
tyjack

you guys are ****ing scaring me to death! i have an 04, with 6k and have had no problems...... yet. anyone else with 04 had a lot of problems? if so, when can i expect to get my share of them? ive always dogged nissans, im a toyota and honda lover, but loved the new z style. honda has the s2000, but only a four cylinder, same with toyota(spyder) oh well, i guess you get what you pay for

Quick Reply: My Z Sucks!